Solved

Graphics card upgrade from 8500 gt 512 MB

Ok, so i converted my old desktop to a server last year and now my dad is getting a new computer so his desktop is going to be the new server(cause its older and can still handle it). So now to re-recycle my desktop, i want to put a new video card in it so i can give it to my brother for his 8th grade graduation so he can have a low to mid range gaming machine in addition to his laptop.

The specs are:

BIOSTAR P43-A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz Dual Core Processor
4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
500GB HDD
430W PSU
nVidia 8500 GT

I jsut need something that will last the next few years, cheaper the better as im on a tight budget.

Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card upgrade 8500
  1. Best answer
    A Radeon 5570 is a great budget gaming pick and would match that CPU pretty well. Any card worth getting would be at least $40, and stretching another bill or 2 will get you from just a so-so card that will run games on low to a good card that can hit high settings in many games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935-2.html
  2. I was looking at a 5670, would that work?
  3. sleapeasy said:
    I was looking at a 5670, would that work?

Yes but it's more expensive than the 5570 and I don't think it will run any faster than it in the system you are using it in. It may though, so if you don't care about the exta cost, get it.
  4. I would get the HD 5670.

My HTPC has an E6600 CPU and a GeForce 9600GT which is a bit faster than the HD 5670. The 9600GT runs at it's full potential.

While the E6600 may be a few years old it is still a very good CPU and should not bottleneck most video cards except for higher end cards like maybe a HD 5850.
  5. Best answer selected by sleapeasy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Desktops Graphics