Strange sequence of problems (power supply?)

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
http://imageshack.us/f/13/img2373zi.jpg/

Howdy folks,

The above link is what I was first receiving. This is my build:

Corsair 800GS Power Supply, Intel Core i5 2500K, Asus P8P67 Evo Motherboard, 2 x 4GB of DDR3 G.Skill RipJaw @ 1333MHz, 1TB Western Digital HDD, 2 x MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Cards, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Anyhow, I had Nvidia Beta drivers. So, in Safe Mode, I switched to WHQL with no luck. I then tried switching my RAM from another PC (Kingston DDR3 1333MHz) with no luck.

After continually receiving the above error message, I tried a Windows repair. I eventually had random loss of power and restart at times (would push power, LEDs light, system would start for a few seconds, then power loss, and then restart again - almost like a power interruption). During this time, when I could get it to start and log in to Windows, all I could see was a black screen and mouse cursor.

At that point, I removed the G. Skill Ram and two GTX 560Ti's and they are working perfectly fine in this computer that I am writing from. Previously, I tried CPUID on the other system in Safe Mode and all it could obtain was the Intel processor (2500k) information - no Mobo, RAM, or Video card info.

*NOTE* When I first built the PC, I had to switch one of the power supply cables on one of the fans due to no output.

Any speculation or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
hmmmmm... i heard about this problem not a long time ago somewhere else, turns out that his psu basically burnt the pcie slots and shorted some connections to the mobo, and just like your rig, there was no info on his card and mobo, same problems as with yours, i do think it was your psu and i definitely recommend checking your mobo and slots to make sure none of them shorted out, the worst thing possible here would be that your mobo shorted, or your 560 died, hope for the best though! :D

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the replies folks. Here is an update:

The Asus P8P67 EVO has multiple LEDs on the board. The "Boot Device" LED keeps staying lit meaning Windows can't boot. I have two PCs and the hard drive that will not boot in this PC, boots perfectly fine in the other.

Also, both MSI 560 Ti's and the RAM work fine in the other PC.

I measured the voltage on the larger power supply pins (Corsair GS 800) and they are all consistent. I also switched the hard drive power cable (using the second one) and still no boot. (Also tried different SATA cables and different ports on Mobo).

Therefore, I believe it's the motherboard. I have a 3 year warranty, so I am going to send it back.

(Both PCs are custom built - to answer a question above).

In my experience, blue screens of death most often come from something related to video cards.

Having the wrong drivers installed could cause such things to happen.

Is it possible you upgraded to newer video card drivers that aren't right for your cards?

If so, you should be able to go into safe mode and uninstall them and then restart and install the right ones.