Sign in with
Your question

Monitor not recognising computer

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2011 9:39:24 PM

Hey there,

Just built a custom pc - P8Z68 motherboard - i7 processor - but for some reason, my monitor is not recognising the system. No motherboard flash, no bios, nothing. I get my windows disc tomorrow - but it seems weird that nothing is happening now.

Everything inside is working - although I can already see that I have the double post error.

What's going wrong?! AHHHH

I really hope it's nothing to do with my CPU and it's just to do with my monitor (W2361V) - because for some reason it doesn't show my netbook's bios boot either S:

HELP! :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 9:47:33 PM

To me, sounds like your monitor crapped out. Since you tested with 2 sources and they dont work, I think It's safe to say it's the monitor.
July 19, 2011 10:01:34 PM

My monitor is fully functional with my xbox
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:21:38 PM

with laptops or netbooks you may have to enter the bios and select internal or external screen or both--sometimes pressing fn button and another button for example f5 toggles them between internal-external and both screens when they are powered on

check your cpu and heatsink are on properly as surprisingly cpu problems can mean no video
July 19, 2011 10:23:48 PM

well my hyper 212 is in place fully - I don't really want to take it off - is there anything else I can do to check it?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:24:49 PM

Work through the standard troubleshooting checklist in my signature. It was created to troubleshoot this type of problem if you perform every step in the checklist.
July 19, 2011 10:40:05 PM

I really don't know what to do - My parents are freaking out because they warned me not to build it myself :S
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:45:11 PM

Just relax and work your way through the checklist I mentioned above. This is a very common problem. In fact, that's why the checklist was created. If you actually perform every step in the checklist the chances are VERY good that you'll find the problem.

It would also help us if you post the complete specs for the system so we know what we're working with. I hope you have a quality power supply.
July 19, 2011 10:47:55 PM

Intel core i7 2600k
Coolermaster 700W silent pro
gtx 570
P8Z68- V mobo
CM Hyper 212 cooler
Samsung spinpoint 1TB
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
No disc drive atm
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:49:01 PM

Seems alright. I don't see any huge issues. Have you tried the onboard video?
July 19, 2011 10:51:04 PM

Like mcnumpty23 said, some laptops or netbooks don't automatically detect an external monitor so that would have to be adjusted once the laptop/netbook is on. Do you use the same connection when you plug your computer into your monitor as when you connect your xbox? I currently use the DVI cable to connect my tower to my monitor and HDMI for gaming consoles.

Can you post a picture of what your setup looks like? I wanna suspect a loose connection somewhere...
July 19, 2011 10:51:08 PM

oh and 8GB Sniper G-SKill Ripjaws - very low voltage - 1.25V or something.

Yeah I tried unplugging the card (not removing from PCI) but it's not working. I'm still thinking it's to do with my monitor. I think when I get my disc drive tomorrow and insert a disk, it might start recognizing it.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:52:57 PM

Agreed. Are the fans spinning? Is there a beep? Did you plug everything in correctly?
July 19, 2011 10:55:33 PM

All fans are spinning - there's no speaker as far as I can tell. But I still believe that it could be my monitor (W2361V) just because even when I turn on my xbox, it doesn't immediately recognize it and the same with my netbook - it doesn't come up until literally after It's got to the login screen.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:56:11 PM

The most common mistake is not plugging in the 8-pin CPU power connector. You also need to make sure both 6-pin PCI-E connectors are firmly plugged into the graphics card. Of course that's just a couple of the many steps in the checklist. :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:57:33 PM

Like shortstuff said, just run through the checklist. We can't help you, only you can. That's why the checklist is there, to smoke out the problems!
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 10:57:36 PM

might be a stupid suggestion but if your graphics card has for example 2 dvi ports try the other one
July 19, 2011 11:09:03 PM

That's all fine - what I don't understand is where to plug my HDDs into. I have plugged the SATA 6GB/s into the mobo. But for the Sata power - I have a 3 chain and then it turns into molex and I have no where to plug in molex. This is really annoying! AHHHH, literally going crazy.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 11:10:29 PM

Dude, follow the guide. Just follow the guide.
July 19, 2011 11:12:05 PM

I have looked through the whole thing - and I've done it all - Until tomorrow I'm not going to take it apart. But I'd like to know where I plug these HDDs into because I really don't geddit.
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 11:16:33 PM

you dont use the molex on a sata drive--the 3 daisy chain ones are probably what you want--look at the end of the connector and it should be an l shape--that should plug to the hard drive next to the cable that goes to the motherboard--it can only go on one way round
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 11:18:27 PM

the big connector to the left
July 19, 2011 11:19:21 PM

Yeah I am using the daisy chain that looks like that, but the end looks like a molex plug :S
July 19, 2011 11:21:02 PM

Thanks so much guys btw, can't thank you enough
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 11:23:47 PM

thats ok you can use any connector on the chain it doesnt have to be the end one--the molex can be used to power older cd/dvd drives and stuff--any connector regardless of where it is that comes from the psu with the large l shape will do
July 19, 2011 11:30:24 PM

If your PSU is similar to mine that it would have some number of the above connectors. To power your hdd, plug the SATA connector coming from the PSU into the back of your hdd. To connect the hdd to your motherboard, use a SATA cable (at least one should come with your motherboard). To differentiate between the two, the SATA connector coming from the PSU is wider.
July 19, 2011 11:33:58 PM

oh forget that - lawl :S
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 11:36:29 PM

thats ok we all started somewhere--just take your time and stay calm and youll get there

the 5 pin you mention i think is the one that goes into the power supply--your psu is modular so you only need to plug in the cables you actually need to use--so on the back of the psu should be a t shaped 5 pin connector for it
July 19, 2011 11:48:15 PM

yay hard drive noise :D ! Still nothing on the screen though - I'll go through the list tomorrow! Thanks so much guys and if you have any other ideas as to why it's not working (BIOS on screen) let me know!

a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 11:51:47 PM

no problem--its nearly 1am here so time for me to go--you will get the video on in the end--as long as you didnt damage the cpu putting it in then sooner or later youll get there
July 19, 2011 11:52:24 PM

xD but how will I find out if I damaged it?!
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 11:56:42 PM

go through the checklist given earlier--take your time and be thorough--if none of that works then you will have to take off the heatsink and take out the cpu and look for bent pins--if you dont see any put it back and make sure your heatsink is on properly--only way to test the cpu is in another compatible pc or put another cpu in yours and see if it gives video
July 20, 2011 12:12:32 AM

Have you checked whether the cable your using, either HDMI or DVI, is not bad? I know it's unlikely but I'd rather have it checked out than not. Can you please try to get a picture of the inside of your case so far? I like pictures :D 
July 20, 2011 12:22:39 AM

It's my first build so don't laugh :( 
July 20, 2011 12:50:37 AM

Trust me when I say this but having a non-modular PSU makes things look messier and your case isn't too bad, mine looks worst due to how my motherboard was configured.

From what I can see: 8-pin CPU connected, 24-pin ATX connected, GPU connected, Audio connected, USB connected, CPU seated. Does you graphics card fan spin when you turn on the power to the system? Can you unplug the DVI cable from your computer and monitor and try using the HDMI cable in place of it?
July 20, 2011 12:52:25 AM

Yeah the GPU fan spins. I've tried that - but now for some reason my memOK button is on :S it keeps rebooting. The sticks are in the right slots as well - I am so scared, my parents are literally going to kill me.
July 20, 2011 12:59:03 AM

Try using 2 sticks of RAM and not all 4. The light being on indicates a problem with RAM and it will not post. Place a stick of RAM into each light blue RAM slot and if the red led comes on then hold the memOK button for three seconds and your motherboard will try to make it work.
July 20, 2011 1:10:04 AM

So even after pressing the memOK button for three seconds and seeing if it will post proves not successful? I'd say try only 1 stick of RAM to see if that does anything.
July 20, 2011 1:11:47 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall a lot of things tomorrow. I am so scared that it's not going to work. Anyway I better get some sleep if I can.

Thanks for all the help! I'm sure I'll be whining on the forums again tomorrow :p 
July 20, 2011 1:26:56 AM

I think it's a problem with the RAM sticks. memOK video
!