Sign in with
Your question

PC hangs randomly for a few seconds, then ok...

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2011 10:02:50 PM

Hi everyone, I've just built my new gaming pc and I'm experiencing a strange behavior.
Sometimes, almost in any occasion, while gaming, browsing, installing software, my computer hangs for a while, the display stays on, mouse and keyboard won't work. After 20/30 seconds everyting comes back again an the pc is completely functional.
The strangest thing is that, if at the time of freezing I was installing a software, or unpacking a file, during the hang my pc continues to work, and when the freezing ends it updates the percentage of the installation or of the unpacking. The only exception to this is that when I play Crysis 2 (patch 1.9, dx11 enabled) it happens more often, almost once every minute or so.

This is my configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k (running at stock speed)
Motherboard: Asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesys 1600MHz 2x4GB (running at 1333 on auto mode in the bios)
GPU: Asus AMD HD 6970 2GB
HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB
Audio Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Gamer Platinum

Thanks!

More about : hangs randomly seconds

July 19, 2011 10:11:53 PM

PSU?

What are your temps - you sure you fitted the HSF correctly?

For diagnostic sake remove your X-Fi too
July 19, 2011 10:14:51 PM

Check out the OCZ formum for the Vertex III/Agility III/Solid III, You may have fallen into that "1%" (thier percentage, NOT mine) of usetes with problems of Stuttering/BSOD
Not sure your firmware ver, but take a look at 2.09 discussusion - Only recommended if have a problem. Firmware 2.08 is latest, 2.09 ONly recommend if you have a problem - some users report that it reduced SSD performance.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?....
added - Above post was not their when started to type.
Of coarse rule out voltage/temp related, but sound more like OCZ bites again.

Related resources
July 19, 2011 10:19:26 PM

The PSU is a Coolermaster Silent PRO 700W
Temperatures are ok, cpu in idle around 32, gpu 40. Never over 45 and 65 respectively on heavy load.
I double checked every part during the bulding and after, I am pretty sure about that.

Why should X-fi be the problem? The pc hangs often when it is not playing any sound...

July 19, 2011 11:57:42 PM

Yea, Just ordered the Cricial M4 and was reading up on disabling LPM this afternoon.
This stuttering affect many of the newer Sata III SSDs, seems more so for OCZ (SF22xx controller) than the marvel Controller based Sata III SSDs. Reason I opted for the M4 (Plus ofcoarse it was on sale for $212 for the 128 gig version).
!