Lock Desktop Icons

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
will be three users with their own logons.

How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
on the left, some across the top and some at the right.

Thanks,

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

    Don Schmidt wrote:

    > We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    > will be three users with their own logons.
    >
    > How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    > Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    > Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
    > on the left, some across the top and some at the right.

    I've been using a small program, called "WinTidy."

    I'll send you a copy!

    Notan
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks Notan,

    My real address is:

    dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom <== change the obvious

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    > Don Schmidt wrote:
    >>
    >> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    >> will be three users with their own logons.
    >>
    >> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    >> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    >> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some
    >> Icons
    >> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
    >
    > I've been using a small program, called "WinTidy."
    >
    > I'll send you a copy!
    >
    > Notan
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | UNCheck: AutoArrange

    AutoArrange
    [[Arranges the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:11d4qqihqje0278@corp.supernews.com,
    Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
    > We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    > will be three users with their own logons.
    >
    > How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    > Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    > Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
    > on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Don Schmidt wrote:

    > We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    > will be three users with their own logons.
    >
    > How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    > Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    > Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
    > on the left, some across the top and some at the right.

    First thing to try--right-click on an empty area of the desktop, move the
    mouse pointer over "arrange icons by" and see if "auto arrange" is
    checked--if so then uncheck it by clicking on it once and your icons should
    stay where you put them.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    They are "Arrange to grid".

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > Don Schmidt wrote:
    >
    >> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    >> will be three users with their own logons.
    >>
    >> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    >> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    >> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some
    >> Icons
    >> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
    >
    > First thing to try--right-click on an empty area of the desktop, move the
    > mouse pointer over "arrange icons by" and see if "auto arrange" is
    > checked--if so then uncheck it by clicking on it once and your icons
    > should
    > stay where you put them.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    IconRestore....

    http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

    Right click on 'My Computer' then gives 'save icon layout' and 'restore icon
    layout' options....

    Very handy utility....

    Guy

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    > will be three users with their own logons.
    >
    > How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    > Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    > Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
    > on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    SP3 ?

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    > will be three users with their own logons.
    >
    > How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    > Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    > Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
    > on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If you've set up three user accounts (the log-on screen shows three icons)
    then whatever one user does on his/her desktop shouldn't have any effect on
    the other user's desktops. In other words, your icons shouldn't be effected
    by someone else logging on or off, or even by using the "Switch User" option
    to log a different user on without logging the current user off.

    Just as an experiment, click the Start button and go to Control Panel -->
    User Accounts. If your daughter's account has administrator status, create
    a new account with "limited" status and play around with moving it's desktop
    icons to see if you get the same problem of icons on your desktop moving.

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    > will be three users with their own logons.
    >
    > How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    > Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    > Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
    > on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks. It is now working just as you say.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "T. Belden" <nospam@isp.not> wrote in message
    > If you've set up three user accounts (the log-on screen shows three icons)
    > then whatever one user does on his/her desktop shouldn't have any effect
    > on
    > the other user's desktops. In other words, your icons shouldn't be
    > effected
    > by someone else logging on or off, or even by using the "Switch User"
    > option
    > to log a different user on without logging the current user off.
    >
    > Just as an experiment, click the Start button and go to Control Panel -->
    > User Accounts. If your daughter's account has administrator status,
    > create
    > a new account with "limited" status and play around with moving it's
    > desktop
    > icons to see if you get the same problem of icons on your desktop moving.
    >
    > "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    >> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
    >> will be three users with their own logons.
    >>
    >> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
    >> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
    >> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some
    >> Icons
    >> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.

Laptops Desktop Icons