Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Current Build:

Gigabyte p35 ds3l
Q6600@3.3ghz
4gb DDR2 800mhz
GTX 280
Antec Earthwatts 500watts

I built and OC'd this computer, so I'm not a complete noob (only partial).

Question:
I'm considering upgrading my GPU for new games coming out (Witcher 2, Rage, Battlefield 3, etc). If I upgrade, I will get a much stronger card (GTX 580, 570, HD6970, etc). Will my system run be able to run one of these cards or should I just build a new one?

I"m not worried about power issues. I can always drop in a new PSU.

Is anyone out there running a new GPU on an older Mobo and CPU like I'm proposing? I suspect gaming is almost all GPU, and a Q6600@3.3ghz isn't that weak.

I appreciate the help.

A Q6600 at 3.3ghz is still pretty good. It may still bottleneck the highest end card like the ones you mentioned a bit in the more CPU intensive current games but I wouldn't say it is a reason to avoid those cards.
If you can afford a full upgrade though it isn't a bad idea. An i5-2400, an ok H61 motherboard for it and 4gb of DDR3 would be right around $300. i5-2500k + P67 mb + ram closer to $400.

That depends...
Ordinarily, I would say get the new GPU and see how it does. You won't have wasted your money, since you'd be getting the new GPU for a new rig anyway.
In this case, how much would you want to maintain your current system as a backup / alternate to your [new] primary? If you don't care to have two PCs, then you'll want to build the new rig very soon, so your total budget may alter what GPU you can afford.
You will want to have tested by late June. On June 30, the government will supposedly turn off the money printing presses, as "QE2" comes to an end. The economy could take major hit right then. Of course, if they start the presses up again, printing paper money with no backing (e.g. fiat currency) will continue to drop the perceived value of the dollar, making the parts to build your rig more and more expensive. In six months, we'll long for today's prices on computer parts; never mind today's prices on food, gasoline, and just about everything else. Now is the time to buy, while you still can.

TRENDING THREADS