Repair parts computer motherboard

NeedaGeek

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I believe that all of you out there are my best hope to get help obtaining the part I need. I have an ECS Elitegroup A780VM-M2 motherboard in my computer. The other day it when I was working with it, my computer suddenly started re-booting repeatedly and wouldn't stop so I shut it down. When I opened the case I found that the heatsink/fan assembly was loose, not clamped down to the CPU. I looked closer and found why. One of the two "ears" on the plastic bracket that screws down onto the motherboard was broken. Since it had been there for over 3 yrs. I guess it just cracked due to strain and vibration. If I can get my hands on a new one of these plastic hold-down brackets I could have this thing up and running in under 10 minutes. BUT when I went to my local computer chain store they told me they couldn't get this part. Odd, since they do computer repairs, but I guess they just throw out the whole motherboard and charge you for a new one instead of replacing a part that should cost a few bucks at most and takes a few minutes to swap out.
So my question is: is there any way to buy just the bracket? I'd think there must be a lot of these things out there and I don't mind if it's new or used as long as it's not broken. BTW the board has an AMD 2+ socket, BUT I've seen lots of brand new boards at several stores that use the same one-piece bracket that has four screws to attach it to the motherboard.
Thanks much in advance for any and all who can point me in the right direction!

NeedaGeek

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
You The Man! This should do it and thanks for the help and especially the speedy response. I looked at a couple other brackets but they looked overly complicated even though the one from Scythe looked strong (it's metal). but I'm just gonna keep it simple and cheap with the closest to a direct replacement since my cooler isn't that big or heavy. Thanks much again, you couldn't have done better! Hope I can help someone else in future. I'll check back when I have it up and running (about 5 min. after I get the part).

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

not a problem, the same thing happened to me recently so I just figured I'd share what I had learned. :D