Solved

GTX 580 on my PSU? amp question

So I am currently running two MSI GTX 260 Twin Frozr OC in SLI on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182097 PSU, but I want to get direct x 11 going on this system and was looking into selling my 260's and getting 580, but I was confused by their 12v ratings of 42 amps, now I know that my PSU will combined do 67.5 but no single rails would carry a 42, they are all rated at 20 I believe but I didn't know how this would work on these newer cards, and didn't want to buy a GTX 580 to have it sit around until I can afford a new power supply. Any help is greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question
  1. Best answer
    Micktorious said:
    So I am currently running two MSI GTX 260 Twin Frozr OC in SLI on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182097 PSU, but I want to get direct x 11 going on this system and was looking into selling my 260's and getting 580, but I was confused by their 12v ratings of 42 amps, now I know that my PSU will combined do 67.5 but no single rails would carry a 42, they are all rated at 20 I believe but I didn't know how this would work on these newer cards, and didn't want to buy a GTX 580 to have it sit around until I can afford a new power supply. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B shouldn't have any problem powering a GeForce GTX 580.

The GeForce GTX 580 graphics card requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector from the power supply unit. The Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B has two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors so that requirement has been met.

A reference clocked GeForce GTX 580 has a Graphics Card Power draw of 244 Watts. This means that the graphics card itself may draw up to a maximum of 20.3 Amps from the + 12 Volt rails. If the card is factory overclocked or user overclocked then the power consumption and current draw requirement will, of course, be higher.
  2. Best answer selected by Micktorious.
  3. Thank you very much ko888, the whole amp thing was new to me, and althought I knew the watts from my PSU enough, I was worried it my over-drive one rail, or one part of the PSU (don't know too much about inner PSU workings) and cause it to over heat, thanks for the info.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Power Supplies Directx Graphics Product