Sign in with
Your question

Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Doesn't Turn Off

Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2012 6:36:32 PM

For the first couple weeks, the computer shut down properly. However, when I click "shut down", the screen goes blank, the drives turn off, but the board and fans (including the CPU fan) remain on. The code that the board displays is "05". I have to hold the power button on the computer to get it to power off.

This may have been triggered by me attempting to shift the connections to fix a previous problem. Last week my computer wouldn't turn on, so I shifted a few connectors, and it started working again. When I reset the computer, the board seems to shut everything down properly for a couple seconds (fans and everything) before starting up again properly.

Any ideas what could cause the board not to turn off? I've done searches, and I haven't been able to find anything.

More about : z68 extreme3 gen3 turn

a c 121 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 7:11:56 PM

Verify that the long 24pin 12Volt power connection is plugged in properly to your MB.
July 11, 2012 7:30:57 PM

I did that just before I posted. It doesn't seem to click into position, but I don't want to break the board pushing it in too hard.
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 9:09:04 PM

I would suggest working towards and RMA, as that is not normal behavior at all, especially if your BIOS is current.
July 11, 2012 9:36:45 PM

A couple other things I've discovered while experimenting.

Like I said before, it does restart, however it hangs for about 10 seconds (much longer than it did last week) on the Shutting Down screen.

I took out the GPU, and I found out that its actually sitting on the Shutting Down screen forever.. I guess this may not be a motherboard problem after all. However, it still doesn't shut down even in safe mode, so I'm not sure.
July 11, 2012 10:32:38 PM

I know how I hate these unsolved problems when searching for answers... I fixed the problem.

I cleared the bios by removing the battery, pressing the power a couple times, and leaving it sit for a half hour. I tried changing the settings to default within the bios prior to this, but the problem remained.

This may also have been a result of strangeness caused by updating the bios - I know at least one other problem caused by that, but it was only a setting change.

Its working perfectly now. Thank you for the input.
a c 121 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 10:58:40 PM

Good! Glad you were able to sort it out!
!