Help finding best motherboard

Deathbytac0

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I need an amazing motherboard. I love the EVGA Classified SR-2 but it only supports 48GB of RAM and probably has too many little features. The Asus Z9PE-D8 is also amazing and supports 128GB of RAM, 7 PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, and it has many important features unlike the EVGA. If there's anyway I can fit 16GB RAM into the EVGA, it would be awesome. I would also like a 4 CPU motherboard but normally those don't have very many PCIe slots and are missing good features. I also want a bunch of RAM, as much as I can find. Also it needs to support at least 2 Intel Xeon (E5 or E7 preferably) and Quad SLI.
Intel® Server Board S4600LH2/S4600LT2 Family - another good one, with enough PCIe slots. But can it support Quad SLI (2 Geforce GTX 690s) and will it fit in a Magnum TX 10-V case?

Gaming on dual procs will actually drop your fps, and overall gaming experience.

If you want a solid (overkill even) gaming rig go with a high end single proc board (X79 or Z77) as you will get much better performance with one of those and a multigpu setup.

The dual proc boards are great for world records in SYNTHETIC benchmarks, but for day to day use, especially in gaming they don't perform all that well.

Deathbytac0

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Even full liquid cooling, 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 690 Hydro Copper Signature on SLI, 2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.1GHz Eight Core 20MB,PCIe SATA 6Gb/s 8 Channel RAID 60,50,10,6,5,1,0, Kingston 128GB DDR3-1333 REG ECC, fastest HDD, SDD, and optical drives, and Windows Ultimate or a server edition supporting my RAM? I will still be pretty overkill right?
If that's true then my next project is a absolute beast gaming computer, I don't have the best yet lol.

Even with the 2 E5's and the Dual 690's a single X79 (3960X) or Z77 (i7-3770K) with the same graphics will outperform that rig in games.

The E5's instruction sets are designed to process big numbers, not render gaming data quickly. And the QPI link that syncs the processors will further slow you down.

And for your use, you will not notice a difference between 16GB of RAM and 128GB of RAM. In fact if you went with 128GB your computer will be slower, since that RAM is ECC.

You are trying to build a server to run games, it is not what it is designed to do. Will it run it? yes. But you will have better performance if you build a gaming computer to run games.

The machine you are thinking about is beast, very true. But for your use it is pointless.

Hax0r

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
You Know; Personally, I have one Rig for Gaming and one for work; I would recommend a Supercomputer; with your already chosen 3.1 GHz CPU's--I would go with an Aurora HPC 10-10* <3072 to 4096 cores/rack> (ECC DDR3 SDRAM: {6/12/24 GB per node|8/16/32 GB per node} Smallest = less than or equal to 96/128 GB - 384/512 GB [up to 16 Nodes], Medium = less than or equal to 768/1024 GB - 3072/4096 GB, Largest = 19" racks for cluster or stand-alone computing.) They claim to offer both CPU as well as GPU Accelerator support; I assume that this means they will allow for NVIDIA GPU's (Tesla, Fermi, Quadro, etc), as they are the Industry Standard in each and every single major brand of SuperComputing. I also assume this means that they will have the typical 8 GPU setup. (For me, personally, I am going to purchase a GPU-Xpander and a PowerEdge C410x PCIe Expansion Chassis extension in order to Utilize more GPU's) Along with this setup, I can recommend something I use, a server setup that conforms to T.E.M.P.E.S.T. level Security Protocol. My two top picks would be Advanced Programs Inc. (http://www.advprograms.com/index.htm) and Black Box Network Services (http://www.blackbox.com/index.aspx) These are probably your two best choices/options. I regret the lack of expansion capacity in terms of storage on the Aurora, however. Next, on to your Gaming Rig. Firstly, let me address your RAM. You know, I'm sure, about the DDRxxx/PCyyyy, and I am sure you understand overclocking. This being said, we need to take into account the factors that make for the best overclocks on RAM. (It also Helps to have a CPU with Unlocked Multipliers, well, for some people at least.) Currently, the world record for a RAM overclock is DDR3-3736MHz; set by Christian Ney, using a G Skill 4 GB DDR3. (http://hothardware.com/News/Pro-Overclocker-Christian-Ney-Sets-Memory-Overclocking-World-Record-with-GSkill-RAM/) The world record for a CPU overclock is 8709.06 MHz, achieved by Andre Yang, using an AMD FX-8150 CPU and a mere 2 GB of RAM. (http://gizmodo.com/5854780/one-dude-beats-amds-overclocking-world-record-846-ghz) Coming up in a very close second is My personal favorite, Intel. (You'll note that I do tend to pick favorites, but only because they are just better than every other product. For example, AMD has some great, really nice GPU's. Do I really care? No, because NVIDIA is 1000 times better, NVIDIA FTW! Similarly, I prefer Intel to AMD, which is why my current Pc build was and still is so heartbreaking. My goal is to attain a stable 7 GHz, and establish a 9 GHz Overclock, with either AMD or, preferably, Intel.) My PC is a pretty basic Overclocking Monster Kill-Streak on Steroids, I nicknamed it "Hal 9000 AKA The Overkill," Because, much like yourself, I have a tendency to bur really, really expensive graphics cards in large quantities. On my PC, I use 64 GB Samsung Wonder Ram, 48 TB (16 x 3 TB Western Digital Caviar Green) HDD, 12 TB OCZ SSD, AMD FX-8150, Magma ExpressBox 16 Smart PCIe expansion, Multiple Blu-Ray Drives, (Damn It all to Hell that there is not Just one Single Drive to rule them all.) Black Magic Design Decklink 4K Extreme (Preorder), One hell of a lot of water/liquid and air cooling, including a Thermal Right Silver Arrow Extreme CPU heatsink, RAM cooler, BUS cooler, Card Coolers, Liquid Radiators, internal and and external, etc; and when I overclock to 9 GHz, and even to reach a stable 7 GHz, you'd better believe that I am going to use my Vast knowledge of Chemistry to help me out, ASUS Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audio Card, Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card SB1354, Asus Crosshair V Formula/ThunderBolt MOBO. (For Intel, I would prefer to use a V GENE or a P8z77-Deluxe or one with 64 GB RAM, such as the P9X79 Deluxe.) From one gamer to another, you will never need more than 64, or really even 32 GB RAM, and as far as V-RAM is concerned, 1 monitor is: 2-4 x NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 690 Hydro Copper Signature; 2 GB VRAM; 2, 3, or 4 monitors is : 4 x NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper; 4GB VRAM. I am currently looking into getting a Mac Tower for macbook pro retina with an Echo Express Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis & Mac mini Server PCIe Cards and some Mac Quadros or some FX's. Well anyways I hope that I have helped you out at least slightly, and in any case, I bid a good day to you sir. :eek:

weazel

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
auctuly with a sever setup it should run a game faster then a gaming pc if 1 thing is done and only 1 thing
turn the ram into a ram drive
the amount of lag with pc hdd is high take that off and u should crash the game with to much speed
u will be playing the game like its the matrix
but i do agree severs are a tad off from gaming pcs
depends on ur version of gaming though
i run miltiple online game accs sos this beats any gaming pc hands down
each game i run uses 1 gig ram
dam useless gaming platform with limited to 64gig ahhh poo