Only one stick of ram works at a time

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
My new pc build is having problems with ram. When I have one stick of ram inserted the monitor turns on and is all good. But when I have two sticks of ram inserted a red led turns on next to the ram, meaning that there is a problem, and the monitor stays off. How can I fix this? I have them inserted properly. And can this be fixed in the bios? I read a post that said that was the problem. I really hope it isnt bad ram slots on my motherboard.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Yes, I did that but it still only allows one stick of ram. I can access the bios when one stick is in. Is there anything that I can do in the bios?

with the new mb z68 and z77 there been a few bios updates for cpu code..ram code and usb devices. check your mb vendor web page and check that your mb bios is up to date. also did you switch dimms to see if it was a bad dimm. if you did you the motherboard qal list and look online at the ram vendor web page and see if they tested that ram in your mb. a lot of the new name is 1.5v. there is newer ram that less and some older amd/sb ram that rated at 1.65 that out there.