Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from a Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 512MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2011 9:45:39 PM

I am a bit of a nub when it comes to hardware, even though I built my current comp it has been a good two years+ since I have bothered with hardware. In looking through forums I stumbled upon this forum, and while I saw that this same question has been asked, it has been about a year since the other "I want to upgrade form a 9500GT threads have been started," since this seem to be a very knowledgeable community I decided to go ahead and make a forum account and ask you all. I have a Nvidia GeForce 9500Gt 512MB and I want to upgrade, my price point is $200 - $300, though I do not want to buy a new motherboard, but I am not against getting a new power supply. I tend to use my desktop for gaming, watching movies, 3D modeling, programming, just about everything that you can use a computer for. I run 1280 x 720, I do not over clock nor use SLI, and my processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo: Quadcore, with a 500w PSU. Do any of you have any suggestions?

TL:D R Want to upgrade 9500GT, new hardware must use same ports, $300 max, will consider new PSU
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 9:53:53 PM

Wow you can go way over kill with 300 dollars for a new PSU, GPU, but there would be no point becuase you are at 1280x720 resolution.

What brand is that PSU?

Do you want to stick with Nvidia or go with ATI, or do you even care?

Also which Core 2 Duo do you have? Some are very outdated, but the Wolfdales are not horrible.
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:01:51 PM

I honestly don't care about the brand ATI or Nvidia. I also have no idea what the brand of my PSU is, the PSU was in the case when I acquired it, I basically gutted the parts other than the motherboard and the PSU out of the case I have when I built the comp. I purchased it from a guy who use to go to the same college as me and he got bought a much better rig when he got hired so I bought the computer from him for a greatly discounted price, other than the motherboard being about 2 months old and the power supply being about 3, the rest of the rig was 6+ months old.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42112
Is my CPU
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 10:04:18 PM

Haha that link didn't work, can you just tell us which one it is? Or get a different link.

Also can you open your case and take a picture of the PSU stick? Or tell us what it says.
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:08:39 PM

As luck would have it, I just realized I'm at my parents house for my fathers and my birthday and the manuals are all in their attic...

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX Cable Management 550w power supply ATX 12v 2.2 version

Motherboard: MSI P7N Diamond
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 1:13:25 AM

you are okay with your Psu but for that small resolution an ati radeon HD 6670 or nvidia gtx 550 are more than enough maybe too much for that resolution 720p, but those are my recommendation
nvidia card http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-155...

Ati Radeon card http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
May 11, 2011 1:45:52 AM

Best answer selected by addyftw.
m
l
May 11, 2011 1:46:35 AM

Thank you for your replys, I have decided to go with the nvidia gtx 550 that Pez recomended.
m
l
!