Video Capture Card

G

I would like to buy a video capture board for under $250. The only two that I know about are: ATI's All In Wonder, and Canopus EZDV. I want to copy home movies from my 8MM camcorder - not digital, and then burn them on to a CD and mail to my family. The Canopus EZDV has only a digital dataport (I presume that means FireWire)so that one is out of the question. Does anyone have any opinions/suggestions on this subject. I am totally new to video capture stuff!!
Thanks,
Ray

G

If you're willing to spend ~$250 and you have AGP, then I would recommend the new ATI AIW Radeon. I have one on order right now. I currently have a Hauppauge WinTV which does an acceptable job with video capture. It does not have a video out however, like the AIW. The AIW also comes with better software, etc... This is important if you would like to edit movies, then transfer back to video. The Hauppauge and others like it can be purchased for ~$100. The AIW is a bit pricey if you don't need the advanced 3D graphics capabilities. You could also get the last generation AIW which doesn't have as good 3D, but from what I've read the video capture/TV tuner is about the same. You could probably pick up one of these for around $150. There are reviews of the previous generation (non-Radeon) AIW inside Toms hardware's main site.

Hope this helps