Thinkpad 600X Crash Problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 1:23:13 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600X (Type 2645-9ZU). This is the model with the
650 MHz processor.

I just purchased it and have been using it for about one month. Twice
in this month it has had a complete crash; the screen goes blank except
for a few lines of text which appear for a split second then the
boot-up screen appears with words "IBM" and "Thinkpad" in opposite
corners of the screen. At this point it doesn't actually re-boot. I
have to push the power button to initiate a re-boot.

I have 512MB of additional RAM installed (ie: two 256MB DIMMS), the DVD
player and a 3COM network card. The BIOS has been upgraded to the
latest version.

I am thinking that this problem could be faulty RAM. Can anyone verify
this or suggest another possible reason?

If it is most likely faulty RAM can you suggest a way that I could test
this or test the RAM.

-Jonathan
July 11, 2005 8:51:37 PM

In comp.sys.laptops jfklein@shaw.ca wrote:
: I have an IBM Thinkpad 600X (Type 2645-9ZU). This is the model with the
: 650 MHz processor.

: I just purchased it and have been using it for about one month. Twice
: in this month it has had a complete crash; the screen goes blank except
: for a few lines of text which appear for a split second then the
: boot-up screen appears with words "IBM" and "Thinkpad" in opposite
: corners of the screen. At this point it doesn't actually re-boot. I
: have to push the power button to initiate a re-boot.

FYI, I recently upgraded an old T21 for someone. It had Win 98 on it,
and it crashed all the time. I wiped the hard drive and installed
Windows 2000. Since doing so, it has never crashed.

: I have 512MB of additional RAM installed (ie: two 256MB DIMMS), the DVD
: player and a 3COM network card. The BIOS has been upgraded to the
: latest version.

: I am thinking that this problem could be faulty RAM. Can anyone verify
: this or suggest another possible reason?

: If it is most likely faulty RAM can you suggest a way that I could test
: this or test the RAM.

Yep. Run Memtest. Get the Ultimate Boot CD from

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

and burn the CD if you have a CD burner. If not, you can probably put
Memtest on a boot floppy. See

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Anyway, what you'll do is boot the computer into Memtest and just let
it run for a while, maybe overnight. See if you get any errors.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
July 12, 2005 4:29:17 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I had a similar rebooting problem on a
600E with bad RAM. Doubt it's an OS
problem but if you haven't done so
already, reinstall the OS clean. Don't
inherit someone else's problems.

If you decide to go with 98SE again,
install with 98Lite
http://www.litepc.com
(I suggest installing without the default
version of IE and afterwards, installing
a more updated version)

and then get the unofficial 98SE service
pack 2:
http://exuberant.ms11.net/index.html

there's also an unofficial driver for
USB Mass Storage Devices:
http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t43096....

and I would not advise on installing
DirectX 9. I installed it on a 600E
and a 600X. Seems the two Neomagic
Video chips don't like DX9. When I
tried playing a DVD with either
WinDVD or PowerDVD, it would resize
the desktop to 640x480 and change it
to 256 colours. No problems with
DX8.0 or DX8.1.

> I have an IBM Thinkpad 600X (Type 2645-9ZU). This is the model with the
> 650 MHz processor.
>
> I just purchased it and have been using it for about one month. Twice
> in this month it has had a complete crash; the screen goes blank except
> for a few lines of text which appear for a split second then the
> boot-up screen appears with words "IBM" and "Thinkpad" in opposite
> corners of the screen. At this point it doesn't actually re-boot. I
> have to push the power button to initiate a re-boot.
>
> I have 512MB of additional RAM installed (ie: two 256MB DIMMS), the DVD
> player and a 3COM network card. The BIOS has been upgraded to the
> latest version.
>
> I am thinking that this problem could be faulty RAM. Can anyone verify
> this or suggest another possible reason?
>
> If it is most likely faulty RAM can you suggest a way that I could test
> this or test the RAM.
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 11:43:41 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I have Windows 2000 on the machine, which I freshly installed a
month ago when I got the machine, reformatted the hard drive also prior
to installing. So I don't think it is the OS.

I'll run the memory tests.

I am a little suspicious that the problem might be the "Onscreen
Display Utility" (ODU) (the software that displays the sound volume on
the screen), which I downloaded from the IBM web site and installed a
few weeks ago. I don't have any solid basis to believe this, just a
hunch. I have a 600E also which I used for a year and a half with one
of the same RAM DIMMS that I now have in the 600X. I didn't have the
problem with the 600E and I didn't have the ODU installed on it.

-Jonathan

obs wrote:
> I had a similar rebooting problem on a
> 600E with bad RAM. Doubt it's an OS
> problem but if you haven't done so
> already, reinstall the OS clean. Don't
> inherit someone else's problems.
>
> If you decide to go with 98SE again,
> install with 98Lite
> http://www.litepc.com
> (I suggest installing without the default
> version of IE and afterwards, installing
> a more updated version)
>
> and then get the unofficial 98SE service
> pack 2:
> http://exuberant.ms11.net/index.html
>
> there's also an unofficial driver for
> USB Mass Storage Devices:
> http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t43096....
>
> and I would not advise on installing
> DirectX 9. I installed it on a 600E
> and a 600X. Seems the two Neomagic
> Video chips don't like DX9. When I
> tried playing a DVD with either
> WinDVD or PowerDVD, it would resize
> the desktop to 640x480 and change it
> to 256 colours. No problems with
> DX8.0 or DX8.1.
>

> > I have an IBM Thinkpad 600X (Type 2645-9ZU). This is the model with the
> > 650 MHz processor.
> >
> > I just purchased it and have been using it for about one month. Twice
> > in this month it has had a complete crash; the screen goes blank except
> > for a few lines of text which appear for a split second then the
> > boot-up screen appears with words "IBM" and "Thinkpad" in opposite
> > corners of the screen. At this point it doesn't actually re-boot. I
> > have to push the power button to initiate a re-boot.
> >
> > I have 512MB of additional RAM installed (ie: two 256MB DIMMS), the DVD
> > player and a 3COM network card. The BIOS has been upgraded to the
> > latest version.
> >
> > I am thinking that this problem could be faulty RAM. Can anyone verify
> > this or suggest another possible reason?
> >
> > If it is most likely faulty RAM can you suggest a way that I could test
> > this or test the RAM.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 2:03:35 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I used Windows 2000 on a 600E in the past with excellent results - well
at least for a Microsoft product ;) .

You should press F8 at the beginning of the boot sequence, and when you
get to the screen that has the Safe Mode option, select 'Do not restart
on system failure' (worded something like that). Now the next time
your 600X crashes, you'll get the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). There
should be an error message on the screen that may give you a clue to
what's going on.

An anecdote:
I recently loaded some software, did a Windows update, and a Norton AV
update. I rebooted to do a virus scan in Safe Mode, and as the OS was
booting up, it suddenly restarted. I could not get to Safe Mode even
after several tries. The computer would boot up normally however. I
was shocked. I thought if the computer would boot up at all, it would
be in Safe Mode. Anyway I did the above and got the error message on
the screen. I Googled the error message, and it gave me a clue that it
was one portion of a software package I had just installed. I
uninstalled just that one portion, and then I was able to boot up in
Safe Mode again.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 9:01:17 PM

jfklein@shaw.ca wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad 600X (Type 2645-9ZU). This is the model with
> the 650 MHz processor.
>
> I have 512MB of additional RAM installed (ie: two 256MB DIMMS),

The 600X _MUST_ use PC100 lo-density 256MB RAM.

Each stick will usually have 8 memory chips per side rather than 4.

Neither will PC133 RAM work reliably.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2005 1:59:33 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Both of the 256 MB DIMMs are the IBM labled FRU (33L3070). Note, these
DIMMs also work in the 600E, hence I tranferred it from my 600E to the
600X.

I ran memtest86+ overnight for about 7 hours, 6 complete passes. There
were no errors. So, I am thinking the problem isn't memory. However, I
may run memtest again to double check.

Does anyone have an opinion on memtest86+ versus the ultimate boot CD,
which is better for memory testing?

-Jonathan
!