Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I Need A PSU !??

Last response: in Components
October 17, 2011 4:51:03 AM

Hey guys, it's me again. I'm gearing up to buy my parts! But I still haven't been able to find a good PSU. I'm finding other posts on the web anywhere from 430-600w PSUs. This site's never steered me wrong so I want to see what you people think. Here's the build:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM System Builder $80
Mobo: MSI 760GM-E51 $70/ MIR $60
CPU: Phenom II x4 955 BE $112
GPU: ATI / Radeon 5770 $110/ MIR $90
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4gb 1600 $33
HDD: Seagat 500gb $45
DVDD: ASUS 24x DVD Burner $20
Case: Rosewill R102-P-BK Mid-Tower $30

Budget is $550 after MIR
($550 was the plan but I waited to long to buy. I see now it will be a lil over budget but
I NEED A GOOD AND RELIABLE PSU none the less)

Nothings changed though... I'm still getting these parts.

I'm not OCing and I never will.

So that's it. I'm just looking for a PSU that can handle this build well. With the suggestions please explain why your choice is good and if possible a link as to where to purchase it.

THANKS in advance!

More about : psu

Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 5:29:47 AM

Coputernewbie said:
US

How much is max psu budget?
m
l
October 17, 2011 5:36:37 AM

Recommend a different MB, AM3+ isn't that much more, and you get USB 3.0. You could drop down to an X3 (and can upgrade later, if AMD prices drop further).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$77 ASRock 880GMH/U3S3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 (AM3+, and better still not MSI)
$90 AMD Athlon II X3 460 Rana 3.4GHz (since you aren't OC'ing, and the board can possibly unlock the 4th core)
$50 ENERMAX Tomahawk ETK500AWT 500W (may not be 80+, but still a great PSU)
m
l
October 17, 2011 2:05:18 PM

About sixty or close to that.
And please explain: (since you aren't OC'ing, and the board can possibly unlock the 4th core)
if that a trustworthy thing to do, ill do it but if the board cant then, id rther not.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 2:19:12 PM

OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W - $54.99 USD/$34.99 USD after mir = free shipping
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=33040&vpn=OCZ500MXSP&m...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ModXStream-P...

OZC ModX and the NZXT Source 210 case is what i would recommend.good quality modular psu makes for a nice clean install(no cable mess)

No modular cabling but a good 650W psu at a great price.
Antec Earthwatts Green 650W - $49.99 USD
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59339&vpn=EA650Green&m...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 4:02:07 PM

The link below will allow you to accurate determine what power is required for your Vid card and the amps. required on the 12v rail(s) without any guessing. Then you'll be able to determine what PSUs can provide the reliable power you need for your PC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read...
m
l
October 18, 2011 12:38:33 AM

If you aren't OC'ing, there is no reason to get a black edition proc (so you can save a few bucks). There is a chance that the core unlocker (in BIOS) can unlock the 4th core, as the X3 is an X4 with a core disabled. Also with the AM3+ you can drop in a bulldozer later after the prices come down, have USB 3, and SATA III (which the MSI doesn't have).
m
l
October 18, 2011 4:07:23 PM

Okay, so a few things I want you guys to know.

I looked at the ASRock motherboard IH8U sent me and as I said "I'm not OCing and I never will." I noticed that I have to OC the board so it can handle my 1600MHZ RAM. But as you hopefully know, by doing that, it would slow the RAM down to 1333MHz. So there would be no point in getting 1600MHz.

A questions on my mind: Is the BE just easier to OC? Is that the only difference between a regular edition?

I don't think I'll NEED USB 3 seeing as 2 is more commonly used and for SATA 3, what's so important about it?

I know that the fourth core is disabled. So I wanted to ask: Is there a CHANCE that it might not unlock??

Because I'd rather spend the extra $20 knowing that it is stable and actually is a quad core. (comfort reasons)
m
l
October 18, 2011 4:11:13 PM

OH WAAAAIT! I forgot the most important part!

Windows is now $100 again
GPU is $120/ $100 MIR
DVDD: $22
m
l

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 4:21:00 PM

Coputernewbie said:
Okay, so a few things I want you guys to know.

I looked at the ASRock motherboard IH8U sent me and as I said "I'm not OCing and I never will." I noticed that I have to OC the board so it can handle my 1600MHZ RAM. But as you hopefully know, by doing that, it would slow the RAM down to 1333MHz. So there would be no point in getting 1600MHz.

A questions on my mind: Is the BE just easier to OC? Is that the only difference between a regular edition?

I don't think I'll NEED USB 3 seeing as 2 is more commonly used and for SATA 3, what's so important about it?

I know that the fourth core is disabled. So I wanted to ask: Is there a CHANCE that it might not unlock??

Because I'd rather spend the extra $20 knowing that it is stable and actually is a quad core. (comfort reasons)

1. i would just buy a 955/965 BE whatever you can get a deal on.A 955 will function at the stock speed of a 965 by upping the multiplier x1.
2. usb 3.0 has nothing to do with Sata/it's backward compatible with usb 2.0 = it's faster then usb 2.0 if you use a usb 3.0 flash/thumb drives = i know i do on a daily basis.
3. Yes you only have a 50/50 chance of a Rana unlocking to a quad core.If you can afford a Quad 955/965 just get one
October 18, 2011 5:11:44 PM

I appreciate your input davcon. You were even kind enough to help me in my other posts as well.

So back to the PSU. I'll double check on some sites and do the math myself but overall, will the Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W be able to support this build? You know, without it jumping into slowmo because there isn't enough power to the GPU? (people at fry's electronics told me that might happen with a 500w).

Other than that, Ill be going with my MSI board

Oh and one last thing I'm curious about, will this DVDD be able to instal and play SWTOR?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 5:20:41 PM

Coputernewbie said:
I appreciate your input davcon. You were even kind enough to help me in my other posts as well.

So back to the PSU. I'll double check on some sites and do the math myself but overall, will the Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W be able to support this build? You know, without it jumping into slowmo because there isn't enough power to the GPU? (people at fry's electronics told me that might happen with a 500w).

Other than that, Ill be going with my MSI board

Oh and one last thing I'm curious about, will this DVDD be able to instal and play SWTOR?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes a quality 400W unit will run a 5770 but it's always better to buy the most powerful quality psu your budget affords.
You do realise that Antec Neo's don't come with a power cord right?And yes it's fine for your specs and a good quality psu.
Yep the ASUS is fine i have the exact same one.
m
l
October 18, 2011 5:35:49 PM

Again thanks davcon.

Well... :/  I didn't know it wouldn't come with a power cord. Well no matter. I just got off the phone with fry's electronics again. So I can pick one up there for $3.00. Most, if not all, PSUs use the same power cord right? (that's what they say)
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 5:40:06 PM

Coputernewbie said:
Again thanks davcon.

Well... :/  I didn't know it wouldn't come with a power cord. Well no matter. I just got off the phone with fry's electronics again. So I can pick one up there for $3.00. Most, if not all, PSUs use the same power cord right? (that's what they say)

Yep that's correct psu power cords are pretty much universal here in Can/US same power specs.
m
l
October 18, 2011 5:43:17 PM

Alright thanks a lot everyone! You help me out a lot!
m
l
October 18, 2011 5:52:18 PM

Best answer selected by Coputernewbie.
m
l
October 18, 2011 5:57:29 PM

Hey, away from the forum, I want to ask you something. For comfort reasons I like to get all my parts from sites I know. Earlier on in the forum I noticed you sent me to a site called NCIX.com. A friend of my says that's not a good retail site. (I like to get many different peoples opinions) But I have yet to speak with some one who actually uses it. In your opinion, how good is the customer service, reliability, and pricing on that site? (inform me on anything I may have left out please) I'm just curious because some prices there are cheaper than Newegg.

I looked up the details on both of our PSUs. And I see that mine is a single rail while yours is a double... What difference does that make?

(I know the general basics on a lot of PC parts) As far as I know, even though mine is a higher wattage, yours can still handle more, if I'm not mistaken?
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 6:24:04 PM

Coputernewbie said:
Hey, away from the forum, I want to ask you something. For comfort reasons I like to get all my parts from sites I know. Earlier on in the forum I noticed you sent me to a site called NCIX.com. A friend of my says that's not a good retail site. (I like to get many different peoples opinions) But I have yet to speak with some one who actually uses it. In your opinion, how good is the customer service, reliability, and pricing on that site? (inform me on anything I may have left out please) I'm just curious because some prices there are cheaper than Newegg.

I looked up the details on both of our PSUs. And I see that mine is a single rail while yours is a double... What difference does that make?

(I know the general basics on a lot of PC parts) As far as I know, even though mine is a higher wattage, yours can still handle more, if I'm not mistaken?

NCIX is a Canadian owned company and the best retailer here imo.Canada Computers not far behind.
I'm Canadian btw!
NCIX has operated a U.S. website since 2007 but shipping charges were unreasonable compared to Newegg for U.S. customers.
Due to import tariffs at the border.
That all changed very recently when NCIX opened full service facilities in the U.S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B23CdQOlQyI
NCIX kills Newegg in Canada(it sucks here) and will be major competition in the U.S.
I've never had an issue with NCIX and i've spent thousands,all shipments are packaged very well.
I'm in Ontario and NCIX is in B.C. i've recieved shipments in 2-5 days,once the next day = thousands of miles.
That has also changed since NCIX built a warehouse and bricks and mortar retail stores here a year ago and is still expanding operations.= next day delivery
NCIX is a 1st class operation.
They have tons of giveaways and competitions and two youtube channels!
Newegg will have stiff competition.

What psu are you referring to a have 2 models?
Corsair HX-750 and two OZC ModX 600's.
m
l
October 18, 2011 6:45:01 PM

No my Antec NEO and your OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W. The NEO has (+12V Rails Single) a single +12v Rail while your ModXStream Pro 500W has (+12V Rails 2) dual +12v Rails

What difference does a whole nother +12v Rail make?

As far as I know, even though mine is a higher wattage, yours can still handle more, right?
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 7:11:40 PM

Coputernewbie said:
No my Antec NEO and your OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W. The NEO has (+12V Rails Single) a single +12v Rail while your ModXStream Pro 500W has (+12V Rails 2) dual +12v Rails

What difference does a whole nother +12v Rail make?

As far as I know, even though mine is a higher wattage, yours can still handle more, right?

The Neo is a very good Seasonic oem unit with a single 12v rail delivering 40A which is more then enough for your specs and gpu.
It will allow you to upgrade to higher end gpu's in the future.
These guys squeezed over 600W out of it on overload.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=317192

The Neo is a better unit it's a Seasonic afterall.
The OZC is a really good value for a semi-modular unit at it's pricepoint.
It's a good choice for those with limited space or next to no cable management in their case.
You only use the cables you need.
It delivers 36A on the 12v rails which is less then the Neo.
It's always better to have more 12v Amps.

m
l
October 18, 2011 7:24:14 PM

Okay I'll take that as I'm wrong. But it was only an assumption after all. Thanks again davcon and the rest of ya! That's it for me! Se ya'll later!
m
l
October 18, 2011 9:04:23 PM

What's the exact difference between a quad clocked @3.4 to 3.2?

(new budget $600)

I'm asking because I re-did the math and found that I could upgrade the 955 to 965 OR the 5770 to 6790 and have it be about $600 without rebates.

My last option is to upgrade both the CPU and GPU having it come out to be about $620 without rebates but $585 with rebates (that's bushing it a lil though.)

I ask what the difference is also because, if I had to choose, what should I upgrade? (GPU right?)
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 12:44:34 AM

PM me here for further questions you might have.
So the MOD can close this Solved thread.
m
l
!