Review my build before I buy it!

marlon_smith

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together my first home-built system! I'm really excited about it; building my own system is something I've wanted to do since I was like 10. Anyway, I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on what I've chosen before I place the orders for the parts.

Here's what I'm thinking:

CPU: Intel i7-2600k (I realize the value is better on the 2500k but I want this one)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (I want to have the Intel quicksync capability, and the HDMI connection for my TV)
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 (I'd like to get a second one in the future and SLI them, but starting with 1 for now)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (1600MHz, decent timings I think?)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB (This seems like a pretty fast one and good value. May add a SSD in the future.)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA-650 (Should give me enough power to get another GTX 560 in the future.)
Case: The only thing I haven't chosen yet. Need to get the cheapest one that offers some sound-proofing. I'd prefer the PC to be on the quiet side.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Marlon

foverosiv

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
use the Ripjaw-X DDR1333 CAS7.
1600 isn't compatible with i7-2600 and might void your warrenty on it.
also, the CAS 7 makes it faster.

depending on what you do, 2TB might be a bit too much, you can save some money by going for the 1TB.

also, a total price for the computer would be nice.

marlon_smith

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Thanks for the reply, Foverosiv.

The total price I'm aiming for is $1000. Somewhere near there is fine, but obviously cheaper would be nicer.

I realize the 1600 RAM is above the official spec for the cpu, but from what I've read I should be able to get good performance by pushing the RAM speeds a bit past the spec. I appreciate the warning, though.

You're right, a 1TB may be all I need. I download a lot of movies and shows, but 1TB would still hold a lot, and I delete them after a while anyway.

Does anyone know of a case in the $60 price area that offers some form of noise-reduction?