Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Green light for SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 10, 2011 11:11:28 PM

Hello guys, it's t he pain in the butt again :) 

Wondering if you can tell me if I have the green light to add another gtx580 in my system for SLI?

More about : green light sli

a c 153 U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 11:21:25 PM

Unless you are using mutliple displays I don't see the point, but sure go ahead.
May 10, 2011 11:32:19 PM

Helltech said:
Unless you are using mutliple displays I don't see the point, but sure go ahead.


Thanks for the relpy Helltech, I just want to be sure my PSU have the horsepower for it and that my CPU will not bottleneck the twins..
Related resources
May 11, 2011 12:41:06 AM

Unless you are in a competition so see what would be the most expensive, power hungry, most ineffective upgrade I can make on my System. and the grand Prize was $529.99 ... I'd have to say no ... the performance is too shallow w/ the current CPUs in today's market especially with only a 4Ghz 24-7 i7 :-(


Oh my bad .. I thought you were getting 3 ... whoopsie .... :-) .. two is good .. not that huge of a bottleneck there ... But a CPU bottle neck none the less
May 11, 2011 3:05:07 AM

Havvoc said:
Unless you are in a competition so see what would be the most expensive, power hungry, most ineffective upgrade I can make on my System. and the grand Prize was $529.99 ... I'd have to say no ... the performance is too shallow w/ the current CPUs in today's market especially with only a 4Ghz 24-7 i7 :-(


Oh my bad .. I thought you were getting 3 ... whoopsie .... :-) .. two is good .. not that huge of a bottleneck there ... But a CPU bottle neck none the less


So, how much ghz I need to have to not get the CPU slowing down the cards?
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 3:13:00 AM

Without your resolution, we can't tell you much useful info.
May 11, 2011 5:35:49 AM

bystander said:
Without your resolution, we can't tell you much useful info.


1080p, sorry about that.
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 5:44:31 AM

In that case, the vast majority of the time you won't gain much of anything with a 580 in SLI, but in cases like Metro 2033, you will see a mild improvement.
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 5:45:54 AM

Btw, are there any games that you set to max settings, and you don't get 40+ fps?
May 11, 2011 6:00:19 AM

bystander said:
In that case, the vast majority of the time you won't gain much of anything with a 580 in SLI, but in cases like Metro 2033, you will see a mild improvement.


When you say mild, you mean double?

Cause in the link above, and in a few review I'm watching in youtube, it actualy doubles the fps in metro and few other games, seems to scale very well the 400 and the 500 series.

I don't want to sound rude or anything bystander, I just want to know if my system will handle adding one more card to it, if I get much improvements or not, let's just say I'm not much of think now guy, but think ahead dude, well, at least one year ahead, or I hope...

Either way, thanks for the reply.
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 6:22:21 AM

That is why I asked, is there any games that you play that do not get 40+ fps when maxed? If not, you will not see much improvement.

Doubling of FPS means nothing if the starting point was 60+ FPS. Your monitor, unless it's not the typical 60hz refresh rate, cannot display more than 60 FPS.

If you are getting 40 FPS now, and go to more than 60 FPS, you will see a small improvement, but not very noticeable. It's below 40 FPS that you start really noticing that FPS are no longer smooth.

So, take a look at the FPS you have now. If you have no games below 40 FPS maxed out, and a couple that are between 40 and 60, you'll be hard pressed to notice an improvement in performance, but you will notice a noise level increase.
May 11, 2011 8:11:04 AM

bystander said:
That is why I asked, is there any games that you play that do not get 40+ fps when maxed? If not, you will not see much improvement.

Doubling of FPS means nothing if the starting point was 60+ FPS. Your monitor, unless it's not the typical 60hz refresh rate, cannot display more than 60 FPS.

If you are getting 40 FPS now, and go to more than 60 FPS, you will see a small improvement, but not very noticeable. It's below 40 FPS that you start really noticing that FPS are no longer smooth.

So, take a look at the FPS you have now. If you have no games below 40 FPS maxed out, and a couple that are between 40 and 60, you'll be hard pressed to notice an improvement in performance, but you will notice a noise level increase.



Maybe I'm not getting this clear m8,

I want to play metro like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QHz4Hhox1s

And

Not like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhE9AqKipQ4

Theres a x1.9 increase in the fps, for me, thats awesome scaling.

There are a few other games that I want to max out and play it @ 60 fps like, Dragon Age 2, Crysis/Wahead, and I want to be ready for a few upcoming games too.

I understand that this kinda of scaling will not happen with all the games, but happens to scale good on games that I actually want to play.

So, I think this thread is not going the way I want it to go...

My initial question remains guys, I know now that my PSU will handle two gtx 580 in SLI, tho I'm not sure yet if my CPU will bottleneck the gpu's much

Please advise :S
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 1:41:02 PM

Kuimera said:
Maybe I'm not getting this clear m8,

I want to play metro like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QHz4Hhox1s

And

Not like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhE9AqKipQ4

Theres a x1.9 increase in the fps, for me, thats awesome scaling.

There are a few other games that I want to max out and play it @ 60 fps like, Dragon Age 2, Crysis/Wahead, and I want to be ready for a few upcoming games too.

I understand that this kinda of scaling will not happen with all the games, but happens to scale good on games that I actually want to play.

So, I think this thread is not going the way I want it to go...

My initial question remains guys, I know now that my PSU will handle two gtx 580 in SLI, tho I'm not sure yet if my CPU will bottleneck the gpu's much

Please advise :S


Again, what FPS do you get now? If you get 40+ FPS in Metro 2033 now, with maxed settings, you will get 60+ FPS in any other game maxed out.

40+ FPS does look like that video. If you don't own Metro 2033, then why are you worried about getting a 2nd GTX580? 1 will keep you maxed out in everything now.
May 11, 2011 3:08:15 PM

I do own Metro, and I get 30 sometimes 25 frames in it, the same as that video.
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 5:09:38 PM

Kuimera said:
I do own Metro, and I get 30 sometimes 25 frames in it, the same as that video.


In that case, you can gain something from another GTX 580.

Now the question becomes, "Is playing Metro 2033 maxed out with smooth frames, and giving yourself the power for a few future games to be maxed out, worth $500?"

That's the question you need to answer for yourself.
!