3-Way SLi GTX 260 vs. GTX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havvoc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I have a 3-Way SLi GTX 260 Configuration OVERCLOCKED ... I was wondering would i see any difference what so ever if i went for a single GTX 580? ... Because right now I would Seriously Doubt it.

Solution
They didn't fix it that much, the GTX 260 still scales horribly. I just tried my friend GTX 260 in my rig (as you can tell I have SLI 260s) last week after the latest drivers came out and I was getting like 7 more FPS.

EDIT - We are kind of in the same boat, DX11 aside I still run all games at max settings with 1920x1200 (AF and AA aside), so I'm sure you do as well, so I'll be waiting for the 600 series so I can get a LARGE leap in performance. But thats just me. I know the 570 CF/580 do look very tempting right now. But I'm holding off.

Helltech

Distinguished
Well, I know 2 way SLI GTX 260 is about equal to a GTX 470. I also know that three way sli on those 200 series scaled HORRIBLY.

I know the GTX 580 would be an upgrade (on so many accounts, power, heat, noise, and memory amount, DX11 and even graphics horsepower), but it wouldn't be THAT much more powerful.

EDIT -
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-core-216,2120-3.html

Actually judging by that review.. I would say its a definite upgrade, it looks like 3 way SLI 260 is about damn EQUAL to 2 way SLI 260.

Which would mean 3 way SLI 260 is about equivalent to a GTX 480 I'd say. So a GTX 580 would be an upgrade, again it still wouldn't be a HUGE leap.

Helltech

Distinguished
They didn't fix it that much, the GTX 260 still scales horribly. I just tried my friend GTX 260 in my rig (as you can tell I have SLI 260s) last week after the latest drivers came out and I was getting like 7 more FPS.

EDIT - We are kind of in the same boat, DX11 aside I still run all games at max settings with 1920x1200 (AF and AA aside), so I'm sure you do as well, so I'll be waiting for the 600 series so I can get a LARGE leap in performance. But thats just me. I know the 570 CF/580 do look very tempting right now. But I'm holding off.

Solution

Havvoc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hmm... yeah .. that's bad .... I guess I've been Desensitized to the scaling issue ... I've had these cards for over 2 years and they've been beating everyone's single card solution till the 590 came out .. maybe I need to test 2 cards first then switch to the third card to see what you are talking about .... I'll get back to ya... Thanks

Havvoc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

I'm With you on that .... !!! I just ran 3DMark Vantage (I know ya can't reeeaaalllyy tell from the benchmark) In 2 way SLi then switched to 3 way SLi.... getting a nice Jump in performance ... about 12-14 Fps ... still nothing to write home to your mom about ... but yeah .. it does have a scaling issue as you said earlier.... I am w/ ya on waiting for the 600 though ... that will be worth it.

Helltech

Distinguished
Yeh that 12-14 fps sounds about right (even a little suprising) I was trying Heaven benchmark, so I'm sure the application you are using will give slightly different results, but as you can tell don't expect much anyway.

Thats what I'm thinking as well, we are at that point were there ARE single GPU cards that are better, but its so little better (and costly) that it isn't worth it.

Now there are dual GPU cards (like the 590) but those are even costlier, so I think its just a matter of waiting.

Unless you NEED the performance increase (I don't), or NEED DX11, I think its worth the wait.

Trust me I've been struggling with the decision since the GTX 480 came out. I was actually bound and deteremined to get a GTX 590 when it came out untill I saw how unimpressive the benchmarks were.

Havvoc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
:) ... Straight up! that 590 was gonna be my ticket to a better up grade .. SIKE!! so yeah ... no need for the upgrade just yet .... and so far the Toughest game I play right now that takes a toll on my cards is TheHunter and Total war Shogun 2 .... and I can play them both at 60fps so yeah .. I agree ... not worth it till a single card solution comes out that really blows my skirt up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.