Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any feedback on this build is welcomed

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 20, 2011 4:19:19 AM

For Starters this will be my 2nd build after 6yrs solid with my old build.

Any info plz is much appreciated, going to be heavily using this for gaming purposes Starcraft2, LFD2, Valve games, and this build is specially for the new Starwars The Old Republic MMO thats soon to go retail.

Also I'm wondering if the HDMI output on GPU will give better quality in anyways, atm with my sli 8800gtx2 GPU's im getting a VGA res. of 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

Build Budget was $1,000 and total cost was $950.

1) Asus Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2)AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3)G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4)ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5)XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6)COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7)ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for my monitor I'll be using a Vizio 37" 1080p Full HD Screen, still using my trusty V1 G15 keyboard

So does anyone see any issues with this build???
July 20, 2011 5:09:07 AM

Kepp in mind a lot of games are not highly multi-threaded so having more cores is not always advantagous. You may want to consider a lower core count proc or an Intel sandybridge chip if it is primarily for gaming.
July 20, 2011 5:19:11 AM

i5 2500k

this mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... quality gigabyte z68

ram- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... great gskill ram 1600mhz is the norm you wont see a difference in gaming between 1333mhz ram and 2133mhz ram

case- http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Full-Featured-Mid-Tower-Cha... great case for the money

gpu- thiss one is more powerful for less considering mail in rebates and shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

psu- all you need is 750w even if you sli: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Related resources
July 20, 2011 6:07:09 AM

tokencode said:
Kepp in mind a lot of games are not highly multi-threaded so having more cores is not always advantagous. You may want to consider a lower core count proc or an Intel sandybridge chip if it is primarily for gaming.

I like AMD over intel, the underdog is competing with lower prices! The bulldog is on the horizon! When it comes to having more cores no atm it might not benefit now but sooner or later the software/ hardware applications catch up good to have distantance. My last build i made was right on the margins and got smoked fast this time around im going for some gusto! Not only will i have a spare tire but also few cans of fix a flat!!
July 20, 2011 5:58:02 PM

liking amd over intel is like saying you prefer worse performing parts. the 2500k will be the gaming cpu for years. thing of what bulldozer will there flagships are 8 core cpu's which will be competing against the 2500k/2600k. do you really think 8 core cpu's will be good for gaming. a 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz will be a great gaming cpu for a couple of years. even if bulldozer comes out and is more powerful than sandy bridge you can be sure intel is going to take back the lead with ivy bride right away which will use sandy bridge mobo's with a bios flash (which you can do yourself so no need for a new motherboard). intel is ahead right now and in the future. keep that in mind if you think of going with a amd cpu
July 20, 2011 6:12:52 PM

well if your trying to set a record, then yea 1-2ghz more might be the deciding factor for you but all in all 1-2ghz more is not that big of a deal for me, so to say worse performing parts i think you stretching that a bit. 1100T Black Oc'd to 4.3-4.4ghz stable is not worse performance its like the adler biting at the heels of Intel. closeness! so this chip alone has longevity. Bulldozer is going to really make intel either bounce back or run neck and neck with its rival cause going back and forth doesn't make you industry leader.
July 20, 2011 8:11:09 PM

The i5-2500K is a better CPU because of the way it handles information, not it's clock speeds (though those have gone up). The 1100T has more cores, but handles information less efficiently, thereby requiring OCs to get even remotely near the i5's stock capabilities - never mind the fact that you can go to 4 GHz without touching the voltage.

Right now AMD is really making huge leaps in how CPU-like chips (AKA the new APUs) handle graphics data - something that will really play into the laptop/portable market big time. However, they've been falling off the desktop market effectively since the Core2 era.

Performance is black and white - you're either spending your money on a better CPU or worse CPU. The old AM3 platform should have been killed and the AMD architecture should have been completely rebuilt IMHO.

Even the X4 955 hangs tight with the 1100T: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=203
But the i5 slaughters it: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=203


I stand by the prior recommendations - get an i5-2500K with the intent to OC it in 2-3 years. You'll get much better performance for your money, especially at about the same price as the 1100T.
July 20, 2011 9:24:38 PM

Can we keep to the title of the thread and not change it to AMD vs. Intel. Feedback on compatibility, bench test, hardware performance, personal experience with the hardware.
July 21, 2011 12:06:13 AM

We are - we're recommending that you get the i5.
July 21, 2011 12:16:37 AM

cavegit said:
well if your trying to set a record, then yea 1-2ghz more might be the deciding factor for you but all in all 1-2ghz more is not that big of a deal for me, so to say worse performing parts i think you stretching that a bit. 1100T Black Oc'd to 4.3-4.4ghz stable is not worse performance its like the adler biting at the heels of Intel. closeness! so this chip alone has longevity. Bulldozer is going to really make intel either bounce back or run neck and neck with its rival cause going back and forth doesn't make you industry leader.

sure but you need a 90$ cooler to get the 1100t to 4.5 ghz and even then that is really hard to get while you need a measly hyper 212 plus (30$) with the 2500k. with 22nm technology in ivy bridge they will be the industry leader. you know bulldozer is having trouble getting high enough clock rates they cant even pass 2ghz last we heard.
July 21, 2011 12:26:00 AM

if you like intel then thats your cup of mojo, so whats your point someone is asking for feedback on his build and all you got to offer is intel info but he didnt buy intel so how useful is your info? =)
July 21, 2011 12:42:58 AM

cavegit said:
if you like intel then thats your cup of mojo, so whats your point someone is asking for feedback on his build and all you got to offer is intel info but he didnt buy intel so how useful is your info? =)

wait so you already bought this?
July 21, 2011 12:44:57 AM

yea =) few days left til its all on my doorstep
July 21, 2011 1:03:52 AM

cavegit said:
yea =) few days left til its all on my doorstep

haha next time tell us that. nothing we can help you with now
July 21, 2011 2:29:57 AM

as I understand it display ports are the way to go not HDMI, could be wron as I haven't had a coffee yet lol
July 21, 2011 3:14:09 AM

mjmjpfaff said:
haha next time tell us that. nothing we can help you with now

basicly asking for feedback on people who may own the hardware i ordered, sorry i dont do forums much so i guess i could have added that into the thread name
July 21, 2011 3:15:22 AM

shadow1942 said:
as I understand it display ports are the way to go not HDMI, could be wron as I haven't had a coffee yet lol

display ports aka VGA hookup??
July 21, 2011 3:22:08 AM

What aftermarket cooler should i get for this AMD cpu AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 ??
July 25, 2011 6:25:51 AM

DisplayPort is designed to replace Digital Visual Interface (DVI) and Video Graphics Array (VGA), as well as replace internal digital LVDS links in computer monitor panels and TV panels. most new monitors are coming out with this connection along with graphics cards
July 25, 2011 8:21:01 AM

cavegit said:
For Starters this will be my 2nd build after 6yrs solid with my old build.

Any info plz is much appreciated, going to be heavily using this for gaming purposes Starcraft2, LFD2, Valve games, and this build is specially for the new Starwars The Old Republic MMO thats soon to go retail.

Also I'm wondering if the HDMI output on GPU will give better quality in anyways, atm with my sli 8800gtx2 GPU's im getting a VGA res. of 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

Build Budget was $1,000 and total cost was $950.

1) Asus Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2)AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3)G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4)ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5)XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6)COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7)ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for my monitor I'll be using a Vizio 37" 1080p Full HD Screen, still using my trusty V1 G15 keyboard

So does anyone see any issues with this build???

I sure hope this wasn't meant to be a gaming build. No gamer in his/her right mind would purchase a build like that for gaming. For that budget you should have gotten a 2500K and gtx 560 ti. Also why an 850w psu to push two of those cards?

It's like a race car driver purchasing a slow race car when said driver could have had a fast car.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288 <----- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE vs Intel Core i5 2500K benchmarks

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp... <----- gtx 560 vs gtx 560 ti benchmarks and review
!