Sign in with
Your question
Closed

No post even after RMA

Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2012 11:10:03 PM

I just recently bought a new mobo AsRock 970 extreme 3, new CPU 965BE and new ddr3 corsair vengeance ram. I have the case speaker plugged in and didn't get any beeps and no display. I just got my RMA mobo and it does the same thing... Breadboarded it and still the fans work etc but no post or beep. Everything is plugged in correctly such as the 8 and 24 pin connector and all previous parts work such As my gfx card and psu. I have tried the RAM in each spot too multiple times... WTF!

PS: I have already seen the sticky

More about : post rma

July 12, 2012 12:09:01 AM

Not going to lie, from my experience with asrock, a lot of their boards come with DOA or something malfunctioning and who knows what else. I currently have an asrock extreme3gen3 board and I have believe it to have issues as well. Your 2nd board may just be DOA if its not giving you any signs of life, and that is bad luck, but like I said my asrock has a lot of bad product...my 1st extreme3gen3 had a dead PCI-E slot, and my 2nd 1 now has power issues.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 12:44:47 AM

Asrock generally is no worse than the other brands (as much as I hate to admit it) like Asus and Gigabyte. The boards from each of those 3 makers are DOA like 5% of the time.

5% and 5% is well under 1% likely.

I would hazard a guess that they tested the original board, found it to be working, and sent it back to you.

Sounds a whole lot like a physical problem to me.

Are you sure the board isn't shorting the case somewhere?

You said you saw the sticky... did you follow it? Did you breadboard the computer with nothing but the PSU, motherboard, processor, and 1 stick of RAM?

Regardless if you tried it or not, try it again and take a picture of the setup, host it somewhere, and link it here so I can see what all is going on.
Score
Related resources
July 12, 2012 1:22:58 AM

Check the capacitors...look for bulges in any of them...if one seems bulged out then that is ur problem, worth a shot.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 1:32:03 AM

Are you sure that is the right CPU power cable? Most PSUs these days have a clear split of 4 and 4 in the wire itself, that looks more like I would expect a PCIE power cable to look.

Is that SATA device plugged into slot 0?

Is that RAM in the slot the manufacturer suggests?

What is up with the stacking of converter cables?
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 1:44:00 AM

Agree with Raiddinn that 8 pin cpu cable does not look correct
Score
July 12, 2012 2:57:50 AM

This doesn't have a slot 0 and ram is in correct spot. As for the 8 pin it is two 4 pins connected and is the only one of it's kind. The Pci-e cables have pci-e written on them and are 6 pin with an additional 2 pin that can be connected, so there is no mistaking. Also, the 8 pin that's in it has always worked in my old mobo except it only used 4 pin.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 3:08:50 AM

Try it without the video card and see what happens.

If you still have the old computer, put the PSU back in it and make sure that still works too.

That and you can put on the stock CPU cooler to see if that makes a difference.
July 12, 2012 3:20:35 AM

It doesn't have onboard GFX and my psu works cause just took it out of the computer today which I've been using.
I'll try the stock cooler.

Update: stock CPU cooler didn't help, also I have the case speaker in the 4 pin slot by the front panel pins (says speaker) and I get no beeps with ram out and the computer starts with the CPU cooler unplugged.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 5:32:48 AM

I don't care at this point if there is no video output after you take the video card out, I just want to know what happens when you try it with the video card out.

I didn't really get the last part you said. You tried it with the RAM out and got no beeps? Then you tried it with the CPU cooler unplugged and the RAM inserted and again got no beeps?
Score
July 12, 2012 3:39:04 PM

I'll try it without the card. And yes to all the below.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 3:54:51 PM

BTW bulging capacitors will generally only happen after a long period of time - they degrade and the internal resistance goes up decreasing their efficiency and producing heat which exacerbates the problem. When they get hot enough they produce "steam" which pressurizes the container & they bulge.
-Bruce
Edit: If a capacitor is placed in backwards(wrong polarity) ALL BETS ARE OFF!!!
Score
July 12, 2012 3:56:25 PM

My guess is the PSU or the VGA card is the problem, assuming that it isn't the mobo. IIRC VGA Init is the very first step in booting and occurs before POSTing.

You have a big looking GPU, is the PSU sufficient to power it (whats the model, brand and wattage)? How old is the PSU, and what did it power in your old pc this compared to what it's powering now?

However it is still possible that it's the mobo, even when they replace your mobo, you will get a refurb board that is probably more likely to be defective than a new one out of the box; but you should investigate other possible components before jumping back to the mobo.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 2:28:17 AM

Do you have another computer accessible to you?

Either your own, or from a friend or relative?
Score
July 15, 2012 9:19:30 PM

Sorry for the late response, went camping.

The PSU and VGA both work and the psu is sufficient. It's a Corsair GS700 (700w) and the only thing new it's powering is the new mobo, ram and CPU. The previous computer had a 770g Matx, same amount of ram only it was ddr2 and a AMD Phenom x4 9500
---
I have a few computers I can use just none have an am3 or + and don't support ddr3
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 4:09:48 PM

What kind of sufficient PSUs are in your other computers?
Score
July 16, 2012 5:53:18 PM

Well, the 9800gt only requires 400+ watts and I have a few of those laying around I can try. And, I guess if it somehow is the GFX card (even though it works) I can try to find a 512 I have laying around somewhere.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 8:35:54 PM

I am more interested in the PSUs at this moment.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2012 1:13:29 AM

You only got one stick of ram.
supports Dual Channel DDR3 2100(OC)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/

I can't see how you have attached the CPU heat sink, it looks like it is "glued" to the CPU. :\

You may need to apply thermal paste if it was not applied when you fitted the cPU heat sink (Do you close the lid on the case?)
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2012 2:50:09 AM

One stick of RAM wouldn't keep it from displaying any signs of life. Computers that are dual/triple/quad channel can boot just fine in single channel mode with just 1 stick of RAM installed.

Those black things attached to the screws should be supporting the heat sink, if he installed it right.

Thermal paste would also not keep the computer from displaying any signs of life.

The biggest thing that keeps the computer from displaying any signs of life are:
1) Completely dead PSU
2) Motherboard shorting on something
3) 8 pin CPU power cable or 24 pin motherboard cable not plugged in or wrong cable plugged into those ports

2x DOA motherboards would be a distant 4th at best.
Score
July 17, 2012 3:55:19 AM

Raiddinn said:
One stick of RAM wouldn't keep it from displaying any signs of life. Computers that are dual/triple/quad channel can boot just fine in single channel mode with just 1 stick of RAM installed.

Those black things attached to the screws should be supporting the heat sink, if he installed it right.

Thermal paste would also not keep the computer from displaying any signs of life.

The biggest thing that keeps the computer from displaying any signs of life are:
1) Completely dead PSU
2) Motherboard shorting on something
3) 8 pin CPU power cable or 24 pin motherboard cable not plugged in or wrong cable plugged into those ports

2x DOA motherboards would be a distant 4th at best.

The CPU fan was not mounted at the time, just applied a little thermal paste and stuck it on because I didn't feel like mounting it at the moment. But it shouldn't matter as it does the same thing as the last mobo even when it was mounted.

I don't see how it could be the PSU if I put it back into my old computer right now and nothing is wrong with it and playing games on high for hours just fine. And I don't see how the mobo could short out if I'm bread boarding it. As for 3, they are both correct as I'm am using the exact same cords that I tried in my new mobo as I am in the one I'm typing to you. Is it possible my CPU is dead (although no bent pins or anything)?
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2012 4:19:31 AM

CPU being dead is a possibility. It isn't common, but it has happened before.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 17, 2012 5:29:04 AM

Make sure u have plugged in correct 4/8-pin CPU power 12v ATX connector.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 17, 2012 5:31:46 AM

OK, post your specs...

RAM: with link please.
GPU:
PSU:
HDD: /SSD
OS type + version
Score
July 17, 2012 4:38:18 PM

nikorr said:
Is this your CPU? Its not on the support list.

Check the serial code on the box.

Looks like not all CPU's are supported.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is my CPU. But it should be compatible as I have researched and others use the same combo with no problems.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Windows 7 64-bit
Score
July 27, 2012 1:53:32 AM

Best answer selected by gman94.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 27, 2012 9:23:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!