Sign in with
Your question
Solved

If i have a sound card just laying around?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Computers
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
October 17, 2011 7:14:17 AM

I have two sound cards and one computer.

Latest Model (Current Computer is using)(Although still old) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And Older Model - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have a second computer on its way (10x Better in performance). Would it be a good idea to use the Older Sound card on the older PC and move the Newer Model to the brand new PC.

I also ask this because i have heard that sound cards make very little difference and/or have a negative impact on the rest of the system (I'm talking about gaming). I started seeing this roomer when Vista first came out and they did away with what Sound Cards were based off of, making them almost pointless... i think. It would explain why Sound Blaster hasn't released any new model sound cards in years. Or. Why no other sound engineering companies haven't surfaced. I mean, Its like they just update drivers and maybe change the way the cards work. Nothing to fancy or pricey anymore. (Although I'm not complaining ;)  )

Let me clarify, I Love the sound it generates and i love the options it gives me, but, does adding a sound card make the cpu work harder?.. if it does then i would value visual performance over audio.

More about : sound card laying

October 17, 2011 7:24:22 AM

CPU utilization rate is pretty much a dead issue with the modern multi-core processors. That, plus the fact that motherboard sound chips have gotten pretty good, have just about killed the discrete sound card market for all but really specialized markets.

In other words, if you really, really want to use a sound card, don't worry about the performance hit.
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:40:40 AM

I'm kind of bummed that the sound market got destroyed like that :( 
(It was right after when i bought my first card.)

I don't know... I'm kinda half way between both options. ... ... ... I guess I'll do it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 17, 2011 2:03:16 PM

There will be no performance hit using an older soundcard on a modern platform.
True onboard sound is decent for the undiscerning listener with sub $100 spkrs.
It's fine for dvd/movies but sorely lacking for gaming and music imo.
Even an old Audigy2 sounds better then the latest onboard ALC889.
I know because i have 3 boards with that chip and have compared it.
Go ahead put the X-FI on your new board and don't waste you time with onboard.
Until onboard audio truly delivers 108dB S/N ratio most $30 soundcards are superior.
I've yet to read a review that measures audio performance where onboard has delivered on it's 108dB s/n ratio promise = delivers mid 70 to mid 80's max.
The sound will also be noticeably cleaner since a discrete card has the components and circuitry to isolate noise and distortion.
Onboard chips are at the mercy of system noise and believe me it's there and one it's biggest problems.
Every 3dB in s/n effectively doubles the sound volume.
That's why you'll read some post on this forum from users complaining about the lack of volume on their rigs.
The soundcard market is alive and well with more choices then ever before.
October 17, 2011 4:35:31 PM

Best answer selected by TrinaryAtom.
m
l
!