Closed Solved

6gb ram dual channel?

Hi. I've seen this question asked elsewhere, but I just gotta hear it again.

I'm looking for a new laptop and I'm seeing tons of ads for systems with 6gb "dual channel" ram. Should I believe this blindly? Am I to assume that it is a 2x2gb + 2x1gb ram configuration?

I really want true dual channel ram. How can I be sure?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual channel
  1. Post the link to the add.
  2. Here's one for example (look at the 15R)

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/laptops?~ck=mn

I even asked a dell tech what the config is. He didn't really sound like he knew what he was talking about, but he claimed you can get dual channel ram in a 1x4gb + 1x2gb configuration.
  3. Best answer
    Intel has flex memory mode.

This lets you run lets say a 4 and a 2 in dual channel. The catch is that once you get past 4 gigs(2 + the first 2 of the 4gig stick), the last stick will then run in single channel mode.

2 x 2 and 1 x 2 for 6 gigs is normal dual channel.

4 + 2 is Flex mode. Not that its all that bad(still better then 6gigs of single channel only) and many systems will call it dual channel.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm#flex
  4. Since that is Dell they most likely have it setup in a 2x2 and 1x2 for 6 gigs setup
  5. Pacopag said:
    Hi. I've seen this question asked elsewhere, but I just gotta hear it again.

I'm looking for a new laptop and I'm seeing tons of ads for systems with 6gb "dual channel" ram. Should I believe this blindly? Am I to assume that it is a 2x2gb + 2x1gb ram configuration?

I really want true dual channel ram. How can I be sure?

Smells fishy, its not dual channel for sure. Flex mode, OK, but its still not dual channel.
  6. Best answer selected by Pacopag.
  7. Quite cool. Thanks for your replies.
  8. It runs in flex mode when different sizes of RAM are installed too.
  9. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Dual Channel