5870 vs gtx 560

hey im on a tight budget right now and im trying to get a great video card for the price
ive found 3 great deals:
5870 1GB
6850 1GB
GTX 560
which one should i go for ?
25 answers Last reply
More about 5870
  1. They are all about the same.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6950_Vortex_II/27.html

    Where are buying them from?
  2. ebuyer and ebay
    i'm just trying to get the best performer of the three do any off them stand out from the other 2 ?
  3. Whats your full system specs?(CPU,Mobo,PSU,etc.)

    Whats your budget?

    If your on a really tight budget then this 5850 is the best buy.It's performance to cost is right on target.It's faster than the 6850 and just a little slower than the GTX560 but costs $50 less.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=365429&CatId=3669
  4. No none of them stand out from each other. They are all about the same, just click that link I posted.
  5. I'd avoid the 5870 of the 3 due to being older tech. The 6850 and 560 are pretty equal. I prefer having MLAA that the 6850 has, but you might like physX that the 560 has.

    (editted due to thinking 560ti vs 6950).
  6. purple stank said:
    Whats your full system specs?(CPU,Mobo,PSU,etc.)

    Whats your budget?

    If your on a really tight budget then this 5850 is the best buy.It's performance to cost is right on target.It's faster than the 6850 and just a little slower than the GTX560 but costs $50 less.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=365429&CatId=3669



    Intel core i5
    MSI P55-GD85
    Corsair 650w
    60gb intel ssd (boot)
    1Tb WD black (Storage)
    4gb OCZ Platinum RAM

    my budget is about £150
  7. At $215 US you don't really have much room to play with for a more powerful card and usally the prices are a lot higher in Europe than the US for graphics cards.What types of games do you play? We can look up some benchmarks for those games to see what cards come out on top to make selecting a card easier.

    What resoultion are you at?
  8. purple stank said:
    At $215 US you don't really have much room to play with for a more powerful card and usally the prices are a lot higher in Europe than the US for graphics cards.What types of games do you play? We can look up some benchmarks for those games to see what cards come out on top to make selecting a card easier.

    What resoultion are you at?



    well i play a bit of crysis, battlefield bad company 2 and left for dead 2
    my monitor acts a bit wierd at 1080p so i go down to 1440x900 for games using my old 8600gt which is getting really loud and i NEED a upgrade lol
  9. If it's getting loud that seems to me like dust.When a fan is clogged with dust or something it will start to sound a lot lounder than it's normal sound.Try cleaning it to see if it sounds different or if theirs any dust at all.
    L4D2 is not a problem at all to max out so we don't even need to look at the benchmark's for those.I think BFBC2 is where you will see which card is best because it utlize's everything the card has to offer.It is also as much CPU demanding as GPU.

    Crysis Warhead Benchmark
    http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page7.html

    BFBC2 Benchmark
    http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page10.html

    As you can see from those benchmarks all the cards are really close,pretty much within 10FPS of eachother.I reccomend going with the 5850.It's $150 US and in those games it performs almost the same.The 5870 performs best but only by 2~3 fps.
  10. purple stank said:
    If it's getting loud that seems to me like dust.When a fan is clogged with dust or something it will start to sound a lot lounder than it's normal sound.Try cleaning it to see if it sounds different or if theirs any dust at all.
    L4D2 is not a problem at all to max out so we don't even need to look at the benchmark's for those.I think BFBC2 is where you will see which card is best because it utlize's everything the card has to offer.It is also as much CPU demanding as GPU.

    Crysis Warhead Benchmark
    http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page7.html

    BFBC2 Benchmark
    http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page10.html

    As you can see from those benchmarks all the cards are really close,pretty much within 10FPS of eachother.I reccomend going with the 5850.It's $150 US and in those games it performs almost the same.The 5870 performs best but only by 2~3 fps.


    perfect thanks for all the help ill just chose the cheapest seen as they are all pretty much the same and i will have a look at the fan now :)
  11. At that resolution, I would really recommend the 5850. You can max most games easy. Best bang for buck.
  12. Yes,the 5850 is the best card for price.

    What is the price of the 5850 in your region?
  13. purple stank said:
    Yes,the 5850 is the best card for price.

    What is the price of the 5850 in your region?


    well this is the best i could find in like 15 mins http://www.ebuyer.com/product/248887
    which is £143.78
  14. Thats what I was afraid of.The prices for the 5850 are much higher in your region.That being the case it looks like you will have to decide based on price rather than performance since all the cards are really expensive.

    Here's the cheapest ones I could find.

    Saphire 5850 165 Euro + Shipping
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-HD5850-1GB-Graphics-Card/dp/B0036Z2F4U/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305083348&sr=1-11

    Saphire 6870 154 Euro + Shipping

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11179-00-40R-6870-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B004DPDA00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305083450&sr=8-1

    It looks like the only card actually within your budget is the 6850.
  15. This is crazy, the 5870 is the most powerful of them all, by a decent margin
  16. purple stank said:
    Thats what I was afraid of.The prices for the 5850 are much higher in your region.That being the case it looks like you will have to decide based on price rather than performance since all the cards are really expensive.

    Here's the cheapest ones I could find.

    Saphire 5850 165 Euro + Shipping
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-HD5850-1GB-Graphics-Card/dp/B0036Z2F4U/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305083348&sr=1-11

    Saphire 6870 154 Euro + Shipping

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11179-00-40R-6870-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B004DPDA00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305083450&sr=8-1

    It looks like the only card actually within your budget is the 6850.


    yeh cards are really expensive here not had a chance to depreciate yet :(
    Many thanks for the help !! :) :D :D :D
  17. By the benchmarks of the games the OP is intrested in the 5870 only wins by about 5 FPS on average.Hardly worth the extra $20~$40 dollars,IMO.And it consumes a lot more power than the 6850.
  18. Honestly I thought the OP said he wanted the 6950, not 6850, my bad there. But he has been informaed well by other members.
  19. Yah.His budget is only around $210 so theirs not many options for really powerful cards.Mostly old tech if you want good performance.
  20. last month MSI lightning 5870 was so cheap like 205 or something on the egg, still kicking myslef
  21. The performance difference bettween the 5850 and 5870 in BFBC2 is only 10FPS and the GTX560 sits in the middle of that.
  22. Here's a sapphire 5850 for £115

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-259-SP

    I'd go with that
  23. Thats prolly the one I was looking for but couldn't find it.Go with that if you can't find anything cheaper.
  24. I cant believe 95% of the answers you got on this post. The 5870 is by far the most superior despite being close to 2 years old! Just check out toms heirarchy gpu charts. This card is STILL TOP TIER! eVEN THE 5850 IS BETTER THAN THE 560, 6850, AND ON PAR WITH THE 6870.....
  25. liquidsnake718 said:
    I cant believe 95% of the answers you got on this post. The 5870 is by far the most superior despite being close to 2 years old! Just check out toms heirarchy gpu charts. This card is STILL TOP TIER! eVEN THE 5850 IS BETTER THAN THE 560, 6850, AND ON PAR WITH THE 6870.....

    good job i went for the 5870 then :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics