Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Very Badly in Need of Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2011 2:34:02 AM

Hi guys/gals-

I'm not sure this is the right section but I'm having an Extremely weird problem and I hope you guys/gals can help!

The issue related to installing a new Capture Card (its PCIExpress).

The issue relates to my GTX 470 graphics card(s).

Here is the issue:

I had SLI GTX 470's installed and working perfectly with no issues.. I then installed the Capture Card and noticed that my screen was scrambling when my computer first boots (all of the information is scrambled every where until it gets to where it says "starting windows 7"). Once the computer boots up all of the way into Windows 7 64bit, then the display is perfect.

Here is what I what I have tried (some with success, others with failure).

I took the SLI configuration out and updated the one card (i even swapped the cards to make sure it wasn't just one acting up). So the configuration was (1) GTX 470 installed in the top 16x PCIEx slot and (1) AverTV Media Capture HD DVR card in one of the 8x PCIex slots.

For some reason having the Graphics Card in the PCIEx 16x slot and the capture card in an 8x slot causes this weird initial boot up scattering of information on my display.

I can put my graphics card in the 8x slot and the capture card in the 8x OR 16x slot and everything works perfectly... but obviously I want to find out this issue so I can run my SLI again with this capture card..

I have also exchanged the capture card with another brand new one (no difference), uninstalled drivers for both capture card and graphics card, then reinstalled .. no changes. etc etc.

I'm out of solutions.. Can someone please try to help me with this weird issue.. I posted here because I figured it is a hardware issue somewhere.

I wouldn't see why I couldn't run a graphics card in a 16x PCIEx slot with a capture card.. Its just a basic piece of hardware..

Here are my PC specs as well:

CPU
i7 980x-Stock
Motherboard
EVGA x58 SLI3
Memory
12GB DDR3 Patriot VIPER
Graphics Card
SLI GTX 470s
Hard Drives
40GB Crucial SSD, 1TB WD Cavier Black
Power Supply
Corsair AX850 Gold Series
Case
Corsair 600T
CPU cooling
Corsair H70
OS
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Monitor
27" ASUS LED 1080p & 22" LG LED 1080p

More about : badly

May 11, 2011 6:42:26 AM

No one can help me? I found out that the problems goes away if I use the right "PCI-E x1 bottom slot" but now my Windows Hangs on the Logo screen "Starting up." Any ideas?
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 6:58:39 AM

I fail to see the issue. The screen is scrambled until windows starts to load, then after that its fine. Don't ever reboot your computer, problem solved?
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2011 8:15:14 AM

4745454b said:
I fail to see the issue. The screen is scrambled until windows starts to load, then after that its fine. Don't ever reboot your computer, problem solved?

I posted after that, that I read that the card needs to go in a PCI-E x1 slot according to AVERtv. Once I put the card into the PCI-e x1 slot, it solved that issue, but then created a new issue that windows will just hang on the Windows Logo (starting up).. and I can't boot into SAFE MODE now either..

Any ideas on fixing the culprit of windows hanging?
m
l

Best solution

a c 176 U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 11:45:26 AM

Put your SLI cards back in the slots they were. (I'm assuming the first 2 closest to the CPU.) If it won't work in the bottom PCIe 1x slot, just use the 16x slot. It won't harm anything.

I'm assuming its an issue with your bios. Once you put something in that 1x slot its changing the PCIe lanes to make it work. (which is why it works in the 16x slot but not the 1x.) I'm not going to read your manual to figure out what its doing.
May 11, 2011 9:55:40 PM

Could you please help me figure this out? Even if I don't end up using the PCIe 1x slot now, I might need it in the future as well. You are definitely right in the fact that it is going to have something to do with my BIOS settings with these PCIe devices. There are IRQ resources that is probably it, but I don't know much about it. Please help
m
l
May 11, 2011 10:15:11 PM

The top-most slot always works at 16x and while the second one will use all 16 lanes lane in a simple SLI configuration. It will fall back to 8x when a third card is added. Finally, the last slot always works at 8x. In between those is a single PCI-e 1x as well as two PCI slots. Why not just get a pci-e 1x video card like a hauppage in stick in there. It could be the the on board chip just doesn't like the setup.
m
l
May 11, 2011 10:21:48 PM

hawk66 said:
The top-most slot always works at 16x and while the second one will use all 16 lanes lane in a simple SLI configuration. It will fall back to 8x when a third card is added. Finally, the last slot always works at 8x. In between those is a single PCI-e 1x as well as two PCI slots. Why not just get a pci-e 1x video card like a hauppage in stick in there. It could be the the on board chip just doesn't like the setup.

I am currently trying to diagnose the problem so I just have the Graphics Card in the 16x slot and the AverTV HD DVR pcie 1x card in the last (6 slot on my motherboard). No matter if the Graphics Card is in a 8x slot or a 16x slot, the Capture card will not allow the computer to boot up past the Windows Logo in a 1x slot that it is designed to be in. It has to do with some in the BIOS.. but I dont know much about it which is why I turned to experts on here.

Any help? This video capture card is just like a hauppage.. except you can capture 1080i with HDMI port.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
May 12, 2011 12:49:00 AM

Did you read your manual? I'm going to pure guess that once a card is in that 1x slot it does something behind the scene that royally Fs things up. I'm not sure what that is, or if you can even do anything about it, unless your willing to lose SLI.
m
l
May 12, 2011 4:14:32 AM

I figured it out . It was some very odd PCI BIOS setting. Thanks!
m
l
May 12, 2011 4:15:02 AM

Best answer selected by iStorm.
m
l
!