bottybotsworth

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
My friend has run into an interesting problem. We've recently wired his room for ethernet since he gets really poor wifi. The problem is his computer refuses to obtain an IP address or find the network. I've tried setting it to a static IP and my netbook is able to connect without issue. The other awkward part is if we connect his computer to his range extender using a cable it works fine.

I've tried a fresh install of Win 7 x64 ult, flashing his netgear wndr3700v2 with dd-wrt, redoing the cables, buying a new NIC to replace his onboard and resetting his cmos or at least that's everything I can remember.

I dont remember what motherboard it is, just that it's a MSI with an AMD chipset.
The range extender is Netgear WN2000RPT.
The NIC he bought is a Netgear GA311.
The house is wired with cat 5e.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
So just to get things clear.

You have your router/switch/wifi combo --> ethernet cable --> computer
And that's not working?

?? Sound right? Just trying to get my head around it! :)

Have you got a laptop or any other computers plugged into the router/switch via ethernet? (not wifi)

Tried a different port on the router?

bottybotsworth

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
That's the setup.

There are usually a ps3 and 360 connected to it through ethernet but not right now. Also connecting it straight to the modem doesn't work. If I connect my cable tester to a cable coming straight from the router it only registers cables 2, 5 and 6 out of the pairs.

Oh and yeah, I have my netbook over there right now that connects without issue. The ps3 and 360 also connect without issue.

bottybotsworth

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Not that I know of. It's also highly doubtful it's a bad cable. That's what I thought at first so I crimped another, then another, then we went and bought a couple because the cables that come with the xbox only have 2 pairs for some reason. No matter what we try we can only get cables 2, 5 and 6 to test properly and his computer is the only one we cant get to receive anything. We had one of our friends come over and look it over, he does this for a living, and even he cant figure out what's up.

My friend is just going to use this as an excuse to replace the motherboard. He's been meaning to. He's jokingly saying that the board is so bad that it's corrupting everything and the reason why everything else works is because it uses less internet.

Still, this is one of those things that I feel like it's going to haunt me for a while.

~Edit~
Also one of the things we tried yesterday was relocating his computer next to the router. To bypass any cabling we've done to troubleshoot.