Sound card, should I bother?

Godline

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Hello, Ive recently purchased a surround sound system A sony HT-K25 second hand.
It delivers 5.1 sound quality, I want to connect it to my PC. Im wondering whether should I bother purchasing a sound card to "improve" the sound quality. I ask this because I realise on-board sound technology has gotten better over the years im just not knowledgeable of it.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/creative-sound-blaster-audigy-se-71-oem-pci-sound-card

thats the card I have in mind.

Thanks.

Godline

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Ahh I forgot to metion its for an old rig I only have 1 PCI E slot thats for the GPU.
Pentium D
1GB DDR ram
8800 gts
400 watt psu.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Dont bother with sound card if you got 7.1 On Board audio... Sound card makes your music sound better or just sound and you dont really need if you dont do any music edit or sound edit stuff... Sound card is what depend your doing and most of the time it's not needed...

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I have a dedicated sound card and swear by it, but I'm not convinced a sub $100 card can outperform a modern motherboard codec (and yes I know there is still great variety in motherboard audio codecs and performance varies).

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
i have a xonar dg and it is so much better than my onboard its worth it just to get rid of the elecrical interference noises form the other components and the sound quality is loads better