How fast does each core go in a quad core

SP600

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Just out of curiosity, i would like to know how fast quad core processors go.

I believe that a 3.2 GHz quad core has 4 cores, each running at 800 MHz, adding to 3.2 GHz.

However a lot of people i know say that each core runs at 3.2 GHz adding to 12.8 GHz. But that doesn't seem right.

Who is correct? (if anyone)

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Each core in a 3.2ghz quad runs at 3.2ghz, you don't add/multiply the speed of each core to get 12.8ghz. Same thing with your theory, it's not 4x800mhz cores=3.2ghz CPU, it's 4 cores running at 3.2ghz=a 3.2ghz quad core. Hopefully that cleared it up, I can see how it's confusing :)

You are both wrong, you don't add the cores together, its simply 4 cores, each core running at 3.2ghz.
Whether or not a program can use 1, 2 or even all 4 cores of a quadcore processor is entirely dependent on the way the program is written. Not all programs, apps, or games can use more than 1 core. The program must be what is called "multi-threaded". Most newer programs are written to take advantage of multi core processors, many older programs are not.
This is not to say a multicore processor is still not a benefit, as Windows runs many tasks in the background. Windows can use 1 core to run the program, and the other cores to handle the normal background tasks or allow you to multitask with multiple programs more effectively without as much slow down.