Sign in with
Your question

How fast does each core go in a quad core

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2011 1:29:38 PM

Just out of curiosity, i would like to know how fast quad core processors go.

I believe that a 3.2 GHz quad core has 4 cores, each running at 800 MHz, adding to 3.2 GHz.

However a lot of people i know say that each core runs at 3.2 GHz adding to 12.8 GHz. But that doesn't seem right.

Who is correct? (if anyone)

More about : fast core quad core

October 17, 2011 1:51:23 PM

Each core in a 3.2ghz quad runs at 3.2ghz, you don't add/multiply the speed of each core to get 12.8ghz. Same thing with your theory, it's not 4x800mhz cores=3.2ghz CPU, it's 4 cores running at 3.2ghz=a 3.2ghz quad core. Hopefully that cleared it up, I can see how it's confusing :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 3:22:13 PM

SP600 said:
Just out of curiosity, i would like to know how fast quad core processors go.

I believe that a 3.2 GHz quad core has 4 cores, each running at 800 MHz, adding to 3.2 GHz.

However a lot of people i know say that each core runs at 3.2 GHz adding to 12.8 GHz. But that doesn't seem right.

Who is correct? (if anyone)

You are both wrong, you don't add the cores together, its simply 4 cores, each core running at 3.2ghz.
Whether or not a program can use 1, 2 or even all 4 cores of a quadcore processor is entirely dependent on the way the program is written. Not all programs, apps, or games can use more than 1 core. The program must be what is called "multi-threaded". Most newer programs are written to take advantage of multi core processors, many older programs are not.
This is not to say a multicore processor is still not a benefit, as Windows runs many tasks in the background. Windows can use 1 core to run the program, and the other cores to handle the normal background tasks or allow you to multitask with multiple programs more effectively without as much slow down.
m
l
!