Sign in with
Your question

Buying an open box motherboard from Newegg?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 12, 2012 5:00:15 AM

I'm in the final stages of ordering the components for my new gaming desktop, but I'm debating buying an open box motherboard from Newegg.

The motherboard I was originally looking at is located here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However, I've decided that the features of this Asus motherboard would better fit my needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As you can see, the Asus motherboard was originally 200 bucks, but the open box dropped it down to just a dollar more than the motherboard I was looking at before.

My 2 questions are:

1. Has anyone bought an open box motherboard from Newegg? Was anything missing? How was customer support?

2. Are there any motherboards that you guys would recommend? Do I even need a relatively expensive motherboard? I'm open to any brand that gets the job done. My current build is:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($515.09 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($515.09 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition ATX Full Tower Case ($256.80 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: ABS 1100W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2223.91

(I have a 2 TB external HDD that I'll be using for main storage)
The computer's primary use will be hardcore gaming, and eventually running more intensive programming IDEs.

Thanks much :) .

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 5:07:39 AM

every once in a while you get a board that's good and has "some" to "more than" the parts that were originally in the box......... but expect to be missing some or all of the items and expect the board to look used. open box usually means what you see you get and not always in that great shape. somebody didn't know what they were doing during an over clock...... stressed the electrical components. pet ape tossed it across the room bouncing it off the wall, etc.
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:54:32 AM

I dont know much about new eggs open box policies but I would like to critique your build. Heres just a few things you may want to consider:

1. switching to an i5-3570K would save about $100 and sacrifice very little performance.

2. switching to 2 670s would be a very small difference in performance and also save about $200 you should still be able to easily run most modern games at max settings

3. switching to the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 as its a great and inexpensive cooler thats a favorite of most for a reason.

4. switching to a larger ssd such as SAMSUNG 830 256GB as anything on your external hard drive will be relatively slow so you'll want to put most of your stuff on a the ssd.

5. switching to a silverstone case such as the raven 02e as silverstone cases are some of the finest on the market and something I would highly recommend at such a budget.

6. switch to a more reliable brand name power supply such as corsair or silverstone. It also looks like your system could get by with a 750w psu so you would be more than safe with 850w.

With the money saved you could probably gut extra monitors and run a 3 monitor display if you wanted and still have plenty of power(if you wanted to run a 3 monitor dysplay you might want to consider the 4gb version of the card). As far as motherboards go their performance benefit is usually very small so you usualy just want to find a motherboard with good reviews that has all the features that you need. I would use this article as a guide. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g...

Good luck with your build sorry I don't know anything about the new egg open box motherboards. Sorry im a little off topic but I just want to help you out in any way I can.
m
l
!