Sign in with
Your question

Fourth time building. First time having issues.

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2011 12:44:24 PM

This is my fourth build and I thought I was an expert at building systems, but it seems luck played a role in the first three. I put together my rig last nigh and It wouldnt post. I'll explain every facet of what I observed and then I ask you all to help me diagnose the problem.

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

CD/DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case w/Fans: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Monitor: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor

So, here is the story of this build. I put everything together. I noticed the motherboard had a place for two 8-pin connectors, but upon reading the manual it stated that having both connected was not necessary, so I just hooked up one 8-pin to the motherboard(this PSU doesnt have two that i could use for it). The video card has two 6pin connectors the go into it and the PSU had the connections for that.

After everything was properly wired I hit the power button and the rig turned on for about half a second. This is the only time this happened. I hit the power a second time and everything springs to life, but nothin is being transmitted through the dvi cable to the monitor and I here no system beep(don't know if this doesnt happen on some MOBOs. At this point I want to punch a baby.

I cut power and double check and triple check every connection in the computer. DIMMs, video card, power cords, etc. No go.

So, I try to get all the status information i can with no screen output. Basically the mobo post status like to switch between displaying 33 and 32. Also the power status indicators gave me some more information. VTTLED 2 was not illuminated. All other power status lights were. The MOBO booklet didn't specify what that meant, so I was hoping y'all would know. AFter the system was running for two or three minutes six of the power status indicators started flickering a bit.

Also, during this time I disconnected all non essential devices to see if the PSU was not outputting enough power. I disconnected the all usb connected devices, CD/DVD, HDD, one DIMM, and the case fans. Still no go.

The system was not dark when I turned it on. Some components were running. When the power was turned on the mouse, keyboard, case fans, cpu fan, video card fan, cd/dvd, and hdd all were observed to have been receiving power. The monitor just continued to read "no dvi input".

That is all of the information I got from last night adventure. Please help me identify my problem.
July 20, 2011 12:52:36 PM

Raidmax really isnt a good PSU company, i would go to try and replace that when you can, have you tried booting without the graphics card?
m
l
July 20, 2011 1:04:07 PM

There aren't integrated graphics, so beyond a system beep i didn't think it would help. So, no.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2011 1:17:46 PM

proteininja said:
There aren't integrated graphics, so beyond a system beep i didn't think it would help. So, no.

oh wait yes, its a P67 board, sorry i thought it was a Z68 board.
m
l
July 20, 2011 1:25:00 PM

I am going to test for a dead video card as my next test though. tonight or tomorrow.
m
l
July 20, 2011 3:06:31 PM

It's probably the PSU though, always go with top quality PSUs!
m
l
July 20, 2011 3:56:39 PM

have you tried plugging into a different wall outlet? most likely the PSU itself though. as soon as I saw raidmax in your list above, that's what came to mind.
m
l
July 20, 2011 5:58:08 PM

What PSU or Motherboard do you guys suggest? In general, what brands should I trust for each?
m
l
July 20, 2011 6:04:59 PM

PSUs - antec, seasonic, corsair, xfx, enermax...... some corsairs are rebranded seasonics and stuff like that.
m
l
July 20, 2011 6:05:52 PM

PSU: Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, Antec

Motherboard: Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, Intel
m
l
July 21, 2011 12:38:37 PM

I switched out the video card for another one and it posted. The card was a little less power intensive, but it was almost certainly a dead video card. I didn't want to take the extra time to verify, so we got rid of both and ordered a new corsair 650W and a working card.
m
l
!