Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

17" laptop with a pointing stick?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 6:02:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm thinking about replacing my old Dell Inspiron 8100 with something
newer and faster. I'd like a nice big screen, so the 17" Dell Inspiron
9300 looks pretty good, but there is one big problem - it looks like
Dell stopped putting the pencil-eraser-style pointing sticks in their
laptops, and they use touchpads instead.

I find touchpads totally annoying and completely unusable, so not
having a pointing stick is a deal-breaker for me. I'd never buy a
laptop without one.

So my question is, does any other manufacturer offer laptops with a big
17" screen (with at least SXGA+ resolution) and a pointing stick? I
know IBM's ThinkPads have the pointing stick, but their screens only go
up to 15.4". And I'd really like a huge screen...

-Gniewko

More about : laptop pointing stick

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 10:07:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

lubecki@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm thinking about replacing my old Dell Inspiron 8100 with something
> newer and faster. I'd like a nice big screen, so the 17" Dell Inspiron
> 9300 looks pretty good, but there is one big problem - it looks like
> Dell stopped putting the pencil-eraser-style pointing sticks in their
> laptops, and they use touchpads instead.
>
> I find touchpads totally annoying and completely unusable, so not
> having a pointing stick is a deal-breaker for me. I'd never buy a
> laptop without one.
>
> So my question is, does any other manufacturer offer laptops with a big
> 17" screen (with at least SXGA+ resolution) and a pointing stick? I
> know IBM's ThinkPads have the pointing stick, but their screens only go
> up to 15.4". And I'd really like a huge screen...
>
> -Gniewko

Is anyone except Lenovo still making computers with pointings sticks?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 10:24:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a wireless
mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech wireless
notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.

<lubecki@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1121115744.705790.193780@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm thinking about replacing my old Dell Inspiron 8100 with something
> newer and faster. I'd like a nice big screen, so the 17" Dell Inspiron
> 9300 looks pretty good, but there is one big problem - it looks like
> Dell stopped putting the pencil-eraser-style pointing sticks in their
> laptops, and they use touchpads instead.
>
> I find touchpads totally annoying and completely unusable, so not
> having a pointing stick is a deal-breaker for me. I'd never buy a
> laptop without one.
>
> So my question is, does any other manufacturer offer laptops with a big
> 17" screen (with at least SXGA+ resolution) and a pointing stick? I
> know IBM's ThinkPads have the pointing stick, but their screens only go
> up to 15.4". And I'd really like a huge screen...
>
> -Gniewko
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 10:34:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Kevin wrote:

> To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a wireless
> mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech wireless
> notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.

I'm curious what people buy these huge machines for. Isn't it cheaper and
more practical to buy an ultraportable (12" XGA) AND a big monitor with or
without a destkop system? 9300's seem to fill a very unusual niche.
July 12, 2005 12:55:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>I'm thinking about replacing my old Dell Inspiron 8100 with something
>newer and faster. I'd like a nice big screen, so the 17" Dell Inspiron
>9300 looks pretty good, but there is one big problem - it looks like
>Dell stopped putting the pencil-eraser-style pointing sticks in their
>laptops, and they use touchpads instead.
>
>I find touchpads totally annoying and completely unusable, so not
>having a pointing stick is a deal-breaker for me. I'd never buy a
>laptop without one.
>
>So my question is, does any other manufacturer offer laptops with a big
>17" screen (with at least SXGA+ resolution) and a pointing stick? I
>know IBM's ThinkPads have the pointing stick, but their screens only go
>up to 15.4". And I'd really like a huge screen...
>
>-Gniewko

How abt using it with a wireless keyboard and mouse?
July 12, 2005 3:07:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>I'm curious what people buy these huge machines for. Isn't it cheaper and
>more practical to buy an ultraportable (12" XGA) AND a big monitor with or
>without a destkop system? 9300's seem to fill a very unusual niche.

Id be curious into any answers you get on above
question
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 11:13:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Kevin wrote:
> To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a wireless
> mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech wireless
> notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.

Any pointing device other than a pointing stick is a pain because you
have to take your hands (well, one hand I guess) away from the keyboard
to use it. With a pointing stick I only need to move my index finger
and possibly thumb to click. It makes a huge difference when you're
typing.

I also like to move my laptop around and very rarely work at a desk.
When I'm sitting on my couch with the laptop on my lap, a mouse isn't
very convenient.

-Gniewko
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 11:20:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

alex goldman wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
>
> > To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a wireless
> > mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech wireless
> > notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.
>
> I'm curious what people buy these huge machines for. Isn't it cheaper and
> more practical to buy an ultraportable (12" XGA) AND a big monitor with or
> without a destkop system? 9300's seem to fill a very unusual niche.

You're assuming that people use their laptops at one desk and never
move around. I certainly don't. Most of the time I use my laptop while
sitting on the couch, or I'll move it from one place to another. This
way (with a wireless connection) I can for example work in the bedroom
if my girlfriend wants to watch TV in the living room. If I worked at a
dedicated desk I'd save money by getting a desktop system.

Also, most laptops only allow limited resolution on the external
monitor. My current Dell has an SXGA+ screen, but the external monitor
can be at most XGA, which just doesn't cut it, no matter how huge the
screen.

-Gniewko
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 11:25:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

alex goldman wrote:
> Is anyone except Lenovo still making computers with pointings sticks?

Why has the pointing stick fallen out of favor? I'm really curious,
since it seems to be far superior to the touchpads that are showing up
everywhere. I find the touchpads inconvenient because you have to move
your hands away from the keyboard to use the touchpad, and also very
imprecise - as you move your finger across the touchpad the cursor
skips around instead of moving smoothly. This makes it useless for
doing any kind of graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator). With some
practice a pointing stick works perfect for that. I actually prefer it
to using a regular mouse.

-Gniewko
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 12:20:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

lubecki@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> Kevin wrote:
> > To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a wireless
> > mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech wireless
> > notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.
>
> Any pointing device other than a pointing stick is a pain because you
> have to take your hands (well, one hand I guess) away from the keyboard
> to use it. With a pointing stick I only need to move my index finger
> and possibly thumb to click. It makes a huge difference when you're
> typing.

Are you referring to laptops with buiult-in touchpads?

I use my thumb to "mouse," leaving my remaining fingers to type.

How is that more of "a pain" than "moving your index finger and
possibly thumb to click?"

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 4:06:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"alex goldman" <hello@spamm.er> wrote in message
news:7692523.9cyjoSY4j9@yahoo.com...
> Kevin wrote:
>
>> To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a
>> wireless
>> mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech wireless
>> notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.
>
> I'm curious what people buy these huge machines for. Isn't it cheaper and
> more practical to buy an ultraportable (12" XGA) AND a big monitor with or
> without a destkop system? 9300's seem to fill a very unusual niche.

One reason of many:

I can sit on a plane and with the notebook on my lap I fold the 17 inch
screen about 150 degrees so the display is at comfortable head level. I put
on a set of Direct Sound EX29's which reduces the engine noise to a distant
rumble, and watch whatever I like in comfort with fantastic sound and
fantastic hi res display.

A 12" doesn't cut it for that application.

Dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 4:06:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

hyperoglyphe wrote:

> I can sit on a plane and with the notebook on my lap I fold the 17 inch
> screen about 150 degrees

Might be hard, unless you fly first class, in which case your extravagant
spending is good for the economy. Thanks :-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 5:06:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

lubecki@hotmail.com wrote:

> alex goldman wrote:
>> Kevin wrote:
>>
>> > To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a
>> > wireless
>> > mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech
>> > wireless
>> > notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.
>>
>> I'm curious what people buy these huge machines for. Isn't it cheaper and
>> more practical to buy an ultraportable (12" XGA) AND a big monitor with
>> or without a destkop system? 9300's seem to fill a very unusual niche.
>
> You're assuming that people use their laptops at one desk and never
> move around. I certainly don't. Most of the time I use my laptop while
> sitting on the couch, or I'll move it from one place to another. This
> way (with a wireless connection) I can for example work in the bedroom
> if my girlfriend wants to watch TV in the living room. If I worked at a
> dedicated desk I'd save money by getting a desktop system.
>
> Also, most laptops only allow limited resolution on the external
> monitor. My current Dell has an SXGA+ screen, but the external monitor
> can be at most XGA, which just doesn't cut it, no matter how huge the
> screen.

If your Dell limits the external display to XGA dump the POS and get
something decent. My Gateway M7805 (aka Emachines M68xx) will run the
external display at 1600x1200 with both displays active or 2048x1536 if the
external display is the only one enabled.

FWIW, Lenovo has a USB keyboard with both touchpad and trackpoint. Really
wish they'd bring that one out in spread-spectrum wireless--I'd grab it in
an instant.

Beyond that, if you froogle "wireless keyboard pointing stick" you'll get a
lot of hits--sort on lowest price and most of the hits will be keyboards.
Unfortunately they all seem to have the pointing stick in the upper right,
not the center, and it's a long-motion "joystick" type with variable
resistors rather than the patented pressure-sensitive IBM mechanism. The
most common is the Lite-On, which may or may not interfere with
remotes--I've used the same board under a different brand and it did but
it's available from the OEM in several different bands and Lite-On may be
using one that's outside the one used by most remotes. There's at least
one RF model available.

If you're seriously into graphic arts though you might want to consider a
tablet machine with a Wacom digitizer--they're not as good as an Intuos III
or the 21" Cintiq, but still not bad. Be nice if someone would bring out a
tablet with the same digitizer capabilities as the big Cintiq--I'd grab one
of those in an instant if it was otherwise decent.

> -Gniewko

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 6:55:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

<lubecki@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1121115744.705790.193780@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> So my question is, does any other manufacturer offer laptops with a big
> 17" screen (with at least SXGA+ resolution) and a pointing stick? I
> know IBM's ThinkPads have the pointing stick, but their screens only go
> up to 15.4". And I'd really like a huge screen...

IBM laptops go to 15" only (no matter what the IBM/Lenovo site says :-)))
ThinkPad T43p has a wonderful 15" FlexView screen at 1600x1200, which allows to see
more than any widescreen laptop I can think of. I'm typing this on an oldish TP A31p
with the same screen - heaven! FI you do graphics work, this is the screen to die
for.
--
><eM eL><
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 12:02:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

lubecki@hotmail.com wrote:

> Yeah, I'm aware of that, but the cursor still jumps when your finger
> first touches down and then when you lift it up.

Mine doesn't move a single pixel.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2005 7:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Why has the pointing stick fallen out of favor? I'm really curious,
> since it seems to be far superior to the touchpads that are showing up
> everywhere. I find the touchpads inconvenient because you have to move
> your hands away from the keyboard to use the touchpad, and also very
> imprecise - as you move your finger across the touchpad the cursor
> skips around instead of moving smoothly. This makes it useless for
> doing any kind of graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator). With some
> practice a pointing stick works perfect for that. I actually prefer it
> to using a regular mouse.
>
> -Gniewko

I totally agree, why have they gone out of favour? I think some people find
them daunting, and the touchpad more intuitive, or maybe some people have
less proprioception and can't control them very well. Or it could be the
calibration problems - which don't hinder performance, just makes them less
user-friendly (i.e. when recalibrate incorrectly and you have to let go of
it).

The advantages are loads - being able to use them while typing is brilliant.
They are precise and they don't have any problems regarding over or
undersensitivity due their tactility. I also find that touchpads heat up my
finger with a lot of use - don't know why (hoping not electric current!). I
do find my touchpad useful for internet browsing or anything where I don't
have to type - I use the corners for forward and back and the sides for
scrolling, and they are also quicker to use.

As for a 17" screen with rubber thingy - I don't know of one, but try
Toshiba's pro range, or Dell's (I'm sure they used to do it). Otherwise -
wait a bit - I wouldn't be surprised if a new thinkpad comes out in
widescreen (email Lenovo or something).

Duncan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2005 7:38:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:42D3D19E.D0C46082@ddress.com...
> lubecki@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Kevin wrote:
>> > To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a
>> > wireless
>> > mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech
>> > wireless
>> > notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.
>>
>> Any pointing device other than a pointing stick is a pain because you
>> have to take your hands (well, one hand I guess) away from the keyboard
>> to use it. With a pointing stick I only need to move my index finger
>> and possibly thumb to click. It makes a huge difference when you're
>> typing.
>
> Are you referring to laptops with buiult-in touchpads?
>
> I use my thumb to "mouse," leaving my remaining fingers to type.
>
> How is that more of "a pain" than "moving your index finger and
> possibly thumb to click?"
>
> Notan

What laptop do you have? I find this impossible on mine (IBMT40). The
problem is the stretch which causes my nails to get in the way, or too much
of the thumb to press on the touchpad making it very imprecise. It
seriously doesn't compare to accurately using a trackpoint.

Duncna.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2005 7:38:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Duncan J Murray wrote:
>
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> news:42D3D19E.D0C46082@ddress.com...
> > lubecki@hotmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Kevin wrote:
> >> > To my knowledge, the answer is no. Why don't you just purchase a
> >> > wireless
> >> > mouse for your next laptop? I have a 9300 and I have a Logitech
> >> > wireless
> >> > notebook mouse and I love it. The Inspiron 9300 is an awesome machine.
> >>
> >> Any pointing device other than a pointing stick is a pain because you
> >> have to take your hands (well, one hand I guess) away from the keyboard
> >> to use it. With a pointing stick I only need to move my index finger
> >> and possibly thumb to click. It makes a huge difference when you're
> >> typing.
> >
> > Are you referring to laptops with buiult-in touchpads?
> >
> > I use my thumb to "mouse," leaving my remaining fingers to type.
> >
> > How is that more of "a pain" than "moving your index finger and
> > possibly thumb to click?"
> >
> > Notan
>
> What laptop do you have? I find this impossible on mine (IBMT40). The
> problem is the stretch which causes my nails to get in the way, or too much
> of the thumb to press on the touchpad making it very imprecise. It
> seriously doesn't compare to accurately using a trackpoint.

I routinely use a Dell x200, and occasionally (OK, rarely! <g>) break out
an old Dell CPiA.

As I said, it's truly a matter of personal preference.

One thing I found amusing was the OP stated that he did "a lot of graphics
work..." I've *never* seen a graphics artist use anything but a mouse or
"pen."

See ya!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2005 4:04:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Duncan J Murray wrote:

>
> I totally agree, why have they gone out of favour?

My hypothesis is simple: the overwhelming majority actually prefers (or
would prefer given equal exposure) a touchpad to a pointing stick. However,
on the 'net, you only hear the complaints of those (1-10% ?) of those who
perfer the stick (because touchpad lovers have little to complain about -
they can easily find the laptop they like with a touchpad), so you might
start thinking: wow, everyone likes the stick, but no one makes it.
!