ar1clar123

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
How will you connect between 1 or more computers in a LAN/WAN without using ipmessenger? I dont have the ip address of other systems. If I have connected using the PING command, how do i get to view their files??
Please help me out, I wanna learn about networking concepts.

G

I think you need to ask the permission of the other computer's user and then maybe you'll be able to learn the IP address and they may also agree to enable file sharing on the folders you wish to access.

If you don't have their permission, well, this site isn't here to help you on that !

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

If you own the computers you want networked it can be done easily with a few hardware devices (modem, router, switch). Most home routers double as a switch now days. You would then connect the modem to the internet connection whether it be cable, DSL, or dial-up. Then from the modem via ethernet cable into the router/switch's WAN port. You would then connect each computer to the Router's switch via ethernet cable.

From there you would change your folders on your PCs to share specific folders or join them to a workgroup/homegroup together and share files that way. There is a million ways to do it, this is just one simple way to home network.

...and FYI if you PING a computer you are not actually "connecting" to a computer. Basically PINGing a computer is like asking the computer "hey, are you there?" and if the computer is accepting PING requests and is connected it will respond back. Then you console report back how long it took is milliseconds. If the connection is down or the computer is not accepting ping requests it will timeout. You PING a computer's IP to see whether it is connected and if so how fast is the data being sent from the PINGing computer to The PINGed computer and back. You can not PING a computer and connect to it and be able to see files on said PC, it's just not possible.

Hope this helps :)