Your question

PC Please SHUT UP!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2011 2:50:51 PM

Hey there wise people of Tom's Hardware,

Not posted on here in a while because the login button was to far away :)  And not uncounted any problems with my current build apart from blue screens and it won't boot (Rather large problems I will agree.) But recently I'm getting rather annoyed with my current PC, it's fast and loud! You may think this is over exaggeration but this PC sounds like a rocket. Here are my specs;

AMD 1055T (OC'ed 3.3GHz)
Noctua NH D14 (2 Fans)
8GB 1600MHz Ram
GTX 460 Sonic Platinum Edition (1 Fan)
4 Case Fans
Corsair 750w PSU (1 Fan)

Now I have no idea what's making the noise of course it's the fans but don't know with. No integrated GPU so can't take 460 out and see what it sounds like then. It's always been loud sometimes it's nice to edit video in quite relaxing with a cup of tea and crumpet but I can't because it feel like I'm on the wing of a 747...

Any help much appreciated :) 

Cain.

More about : shut

October 17, 2011 3:33:18 PM

Can you download HWMonitor and see what temperatures you are getting while idle and under load?
October 17, 2011 3:35:07 PM

Engima said:
Can you download HWMonitor and see what temperatures you are getting while idle and under load?

Idle 15C - 22C

while Rendering CPU is at about 60% - 90% it's at about 30C - 32C

Never ever seen it break 33C
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 17, 2011 3:39:56 PM

Wow, those temperatures should never make your fans work hard. Can you get into your BIOs and see if one of your case fans or CPU fans is working more than it should? For some reason I believe it could be your GPU fan but thats just a feeling.
October 17, 2011 3:51:25 PM

Engima said:
Wow, those temperatures should never make your fans work hard. Can you get into your BIOs and see if one of your case fans or CPU fans is working more than it should? For some reason I believe it could be your GPU fan but thats just a feeling.

It's a bugger don't feel like spending money right now, might just wait for the bulldozer and get a new case with a new motherboard. The new case might make it quieter what do you think?
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 4:00:53 PM

majorgibly said:
It's a bugger don't feel like spending money right now, might just wait for the bulldozer and get a new case with a new motherboard. The new case might make it quieter what do you think?

depends on what case and what is making the noise. I have a antec 1200 case with all upgraded fans. those are silent. But when my GPU's get goin (dual 6950's) it gets very loud.

October 17, 2011 4:57:36 PM

Are your casefans connected to your motherboard or with molex? Because with those fine temperatures, and if the fans are connected to your board, you should be able to enter the BIOS and enable some sort of motherboard-based fan controller, that adjusts fanspeed according to system temps. It's probably called something like: "Q-fan", Smart-fan" or something. (don't remember ASUS' name for it).

The problem could also be resonance-based, and it could be that your whole computer case is "swinging" to a frequency of an equipped fan or harddisk.

Computer noise is horrible -.-
a c 120 à CPUs
October 17, 2011 5:03:58 PM

Try squishing the fan blades onto the bearing housing, sometimes they work loose
dab of grease every now and then helps too, not too much though :) 
Moto
a c 108 à CPUs
October 17, 2011 5:05:06 PM

might be a silly question but do you have your graphics card driver correctly installed?

until i install my graphics driver the fan runs at 100% and sounds like a jet engine
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 5:18:37 PM

majorgibly-

Have you tried ear plugs?
October 17, 2011 5:22:00 PM

beenthere said:
majorgibly-

Yes 'cause it's awesome not being able to hear: your girl/boyfriend/wife/husband, children, dog, doorbell, microwaveoven, cellphone etc. because you're editing on your computer....
October 17, 2011 5:22:44 PM

beenthere said:
majorgibly-

No but I tried eye protection...
October 17, 2011 5:33:14 PM

It seems your GPU fan is dying. You have 3 choices:

1. Oil the old fan. Take the card apart, open the casing of the card, partially peel off the sticker that cover the bearing of the fan, apply high pressure grease on to the bearing hole. Reseal everything and you will have a nice good fan for 3- 5 years.

2. Change a new fan. You can go for third party GPU fan. Just replace as per instructed.

3. Change/Upgrade the GPU card.

If I am you, I will go for #1, because it is the cheapest.
October 17, 2011 5:34:50 PM

yeungl said:
It seems your GPU fan is dying. You have 3 choices:

1. Oil the old fan. Take the card apart, open the casing of the card, partially peel off the sticker that cover the bearing of the fan, apply high pressure grease on to the bearing hole. Reseal everything and you will have a nice good fan for 3- 5 years.

2. Change a new fan. You can go for third party GPU fan. Just replace as per instructed.

3. Change/Upgrade the GPU card.

If I am you, I will go for #1, because it is the cheapest.

To be honest that sounds like a bad idea. GPU is only 9 months old and barely reaches 100% fans speed...
a c 323 à CPUs
October 18, 2011 1:03:54 AM

How about reseting your bios and turning cool-n-quiet back on so that your fans aren't always at 100% ?