Chipset question with IB CPU

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
It seems like the 7 series chipsets are ment for Ivy Bringe CPUs ... specifically the H77 (no OC, 1 PCIe x16 slot). I see build lists being suggested that have an IB CPU paired with a H61 chip.

Will an H77 board perform better than a H61 board using an IB CPU like an i5-3xxx (not the K chip necessarily)?

A H61 won't support an IB chip out of the box. You might be able to flash the BIOS but you would need a SB chip installed to do it.

The 7 series chipsets are meant to work with IB right out of the box. The H77 is a lower end board with casual users in mind. If you were wanting to overclock and wanted an IB then Z77 is recommended.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
If a PC were not going to have more than one GPU would a motherboard with a Z75 or Z77 chipset perform pretty much the same? From what I can tell the difference between the two chips is in the way the PCIe slots can be split up.

Here is the issue with the set up with the H61 and any of the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors that have been released at this time. We have only released the quad core processors in the 3rd generation Intel Core processors so far and have matched those up with boards/chips that are designed for the target market of those processors.

Here in the near future we will release the dual core versions of the 3rd generation Intel Core processors and at that time we will entry/main stream type level boards/chipsets to match up with them.

H77 = media and the Z77 = performance

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Not asking for inside info but does this imply that when 3rd gen dual core chips arrive there might be an "H71" chipset that will allow for less expensive boards?

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

What I'm thinking is a board that is good with a G530 or G620 today and a i3-3xxx or i5-3xxx in a year or so. I'm replacing an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU box so a low end chip should be way faster that what I have ... although I'm thinking upgradeabilty to get an extended life out of the PC.

So how about this ... when comparing two boards with the same brand and tier/quality I would expect the H77 chipset board to be at lower price than the Z77/Z75 chipset board. Will the Z77/Z75 board, because it supports overclocking, be a better board long-term ... even if I don't OC the CPU?

I think the answer to that question would determine what board I should buy and the rest is pretty much known.

From what I've read it seems like boards built to OC deliver cleaner power and more of it to the CPU ... which implies a higher quality board.