Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will it hold for some years?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 17, 2011 5:03:02 PM

I`m thinking about buying a Phenom 2 x4 955 be with a gtx 275 that i will run in sli. I will be editing hd in cyberlink, some photoshop work, after effects and gaming oblivion skyrim borderlands 2 and so forth.

Will it do it good, and hold?

More about : hold years

a c 159 à CPUs
October 17, 2011 6:38:16 PM

Sure. Check newegg or frys for benchmark pricing. The six cores don't benefit gamers much, but for video work, I would consider them. You can find them fairly cheap, and the best ones are 95 watts. They may be a tad slower at stock, but they will run cooler.
October 17, 2011 6:44:44 PM

955 is a good processor, I used on in my first build and until recently was considering another for my next one. I would advise waiting a little bit and making sure you grab it on sale. A couple weeks ago newegg had a coupon code that took it down to 104.99. And last week they had a coupon code for the 965 that brought it down 10 bucks to 119.99, same as the 955 is normally.

Frys has the 955 for 111.99 all the time, but as I said, you might be able to snag one cheaper if you have the patience.

If you're not in the US and therefore not subject to these pricings, disregard everything about this post except that the 955 is a nice processor :) 
Related resources
October 17, 2011 6:52:31 PM

Is this going to be a new build? If so I would shy away from a Phenom II. I love my Phenom II and could be considered an AMD fanboy, but a much better build would be centered around a $210 i5 2500. Also a 275 doesn't have DX11, a feature which I'm sure any new builder would want. Check out the System Builder Marathons for good builds. Also what is your budget and what do you have to work with. Are you using an existing motherboard or buying a new one?
a c 159 à CPUs
October 17, 2011 8:36:39 PM

I second the 2500K recommendation. Newegg had a few open box for $133 the other day. Be sure your next board is sata III. My ocz agility 3 is a screamer; I just changed boards for sata III support, or you can add a biostar sata III controller card from newegg for only $23.
October 17, 2011 9:58:16 PM

11796pcs said:
Is this going to be a new build? If so I would shy away from a Phenom II. I love my Phenom II and could be considered an AMD fanboy, but a much better build would be centered around a $210 i5 2500. Also a 275 doesn't have DX11, a feature which I'm sure any new builder would want. Check out the System Builder Marathons for good builds. Also what is your budget and what do you have to work with. Are you using an existing motherboard or buying a new one?


I bought a m5a99x motherboard, for the bulldozer, but i`m not going to get that now. So i don`t think it`s worth it buying a new motherboard for the i5, when i have just bought an amd mobo.

The x6 1095t costs about 74 dollars more than the 955. I`m not sure if it`s worth it. I hope the new amd cpus will be a bit better for the consumer than the bd. Maybe they don`t support am3+ though, but something newer.
a c 159 à CPUs
October 17, 2011 10:14:28 PM

The 1095t isn't worth the extra $74. Stick with the 955 for now.
October 18, 2011 12:51:22 AM

Can you return the motherboard? No offense but you should always try to buy things like the motherboard, CPU and RAM together in one purchase- otherwise things tend to get messy. Ok, assuming that the motherboard is not returnable and Bulldozer is not floating your boat you're left with the Phenom IIs. As o1die said, the x6s aren't really worth it unless you have a little list of programs you're going to use that can utilize six cores. Now the big question is are you going to overclock and by how much? If so a 955 is a good bet, though Tom's says that the 965s are able to reach higher overclocks due to the binning process that goes on with the 955s. It's all your call. If I was in your position and couldn't return the motherboard, I would wait for AMD to release more Bulldozer products and see what they're like. If they're rubbish I would go for a Phenom II. But remember- you'll be buying a processor based on three year old technology. That's ages in tech years. Personally I have a Phenom II 970 and I love the thing so anything you get is going to be good. I would argue though that you should focus on your GPUs over your CPU. All of the CPUs out there are going to be fast enough- sink extra money into a good graphics card instead of spending more on a processor.
You did get a nice mtoherboard though.
October 18, 2011 6:14:28 AM

11796pcs said:
Can you return the motherboard? No offense but you should always try to buy things like the motherboard, CPU and RAM together in one purchase- otherwise things tend to get messy. Ok, assuming that the motherboard is not returnable and Bulldozer is not floating your boat you're left with the Phenom IIs. As o1die said, the x6s aren't really worth it unless you have a little list of programs you're going to use that can utilize six cores. Now the big question is are you going to overclock and by how much? If so a 955 is a good bet, though Tom's says that the 965s are able to reach higher overclocks due to the binning process that goes on with the 955s. It's all your call. If I was in your position and couldn't return the motherboard, I would wait for AMD to release more Bulldozer products and see what they're like. If they're rubbish I would go for a Phenom II. But remember- you'll be buying a processor based on three year old technology. That's ages in tech years. Personally I have a Phenom II 970 and I love the thing so anything you get is going to be good. I would argue though that you should focus on your GPUs over your CPU. All of the CPUs out there are going to be fast enough- sink extra money into a good graphics card instead of spending more on a processor.
You did get a nice mtoherboard though.


I have an antec three hundred, so i think it`s going to be really hot if i overclock the cpu..
October 19, 2011 9:14:38 PM

Funny, I have a Antec Three Hundred as well- no joke. It's the Illusion kind. Anyway, I think you could do some moderate overclocking if you got an aftermarket CPU cooler. Currently my 970 is running at 35 degrees Celsius and I have Cool n' Quiet enabled. I personally have never done overclocking and can't really help you there, but if you don't want to overclock, just get a 980. Once you get to that price range though, you start to get into i5 2500 territory again. By the way, which GPU have you decided on? Are you going to swap the 275 SLI for a DX11 card?
October 20, 2011 3:47:13 PM

11796pcs said:
Funny, I have a Antec Three Hundred as well- no joke. It's the Illusion kind. Anyway, I think you could do some moderate overclocking if you got an aftermarket CPU cooler. Currently my 970 is running at 35 degrees Celsius and I have Cool n' Quiet enabled. I personally have never done overclocking and can't really help you there, but if you don't want to overclock, just get a 980. Once you get to that price range though, you start to get into i5 2500 territory again. By the way, which GPU have you decided on? Are you going to swap the 275 SLI for a DX11 card?


Buying a used gtx 275 today to sli. I have automatic overclocking on my mobo, so i don`t think it will be too hard to get 955 to 3.7 - 4 ghz.

Thinking about buying this fan COOLERMASTER Cooler Vortex Plus Universal Mid-level top Blowing Cooler 4 Heatpipes 9225 PWM. (http://ps.no/ArtDtl.aspx?i=178326&model=&salg=)For 35 dollars.

So in the end the cpu gets quite a bit more expensive, pretty irritating.
October 20, 2011 3:51:08 PM

Btw my Motherboard is m5a99x evo
October 21, 2011 12:49:25 AM

If you want an answer to your original question, everything you're looking at will be great components that should rip through what you're doing. I would say that you should skip the extra 275 card in SLI though. It's not worth it for the games you're playing. The productivity programs will barely even use the full force of one 275 much less two. Save the extra money. As far as overclocking the 955 goes, I would do a pretty conservative overclock on it. You don't want to overclock to some obscene speed and find it dead a year later.

Good Luck!

Edit: I like your CPU cooler, but you should do some more research in aftermarket coolers before you make up your mind.
October 21, 2011 9:38:45 AM

11796pcs said:
If you want an answer to your original question, everything you're looking at will be great components that should rip through what you're doing. I would say that you should skip the extra 275 card in SLI though. It's not worth it for the games you're playing. The productivity programs will barely even use the full force of one 275 much less two. Save the extra money. As far as overclocking the 955 goes, I would do a pretty conservative overclock on it. You don't want to overclock to some obscene speed and find it dead a year later.

Good Luck!

Edit: I like your CPU cooler, but you should do some more research in aftermarket coolers before you make up your mind.


Already ordered the gtx 275, guess it will hold a bit longer now. Wasn`t too expensive. Also ordered the 955, i will probably oc it to 3.7 ghz.

Thanks for all the great advice.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:45:24 AM

o1die said:
The 1095t isn't worth the extra $74. Stick with the 955 for now.


I disagree entirely. The 1090T is most certainly worth an exta $60 (its not $74 more). Its a great chip. It is to the $170 price point what the 2500k is to the $220 price point.

And it will be serviceable longer, which I believe was the main thrust of the thread. Remember the title? "Will it hold for some years?" With the X6 1090. the answer is yes.
October 27, 2011 1:47:18 AM

By the way,

Currently I'm getting 33 degrees Celsius in my Antec Three Hundred with a stock 970 with Cool n' Quiet enabled for reference purposes. When I built my build I had to choose between a X4 and a X6 as well. I have a X4 and I'm happy with my decision. Since you have a AM3+ motherboard, you could also go with a FX series processor as well. But they are very expensive and have the same performance as the cheaper Phenom IIs. The FX would be the most "serviceable" I quess (taking that word from FALC0N) but all of the AMD processors have 3 year warranties anyway. If you already decided, what was your decision?
!