Sign in with
Your question

Older games not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2011 9:34:25 PM

So Ive looked around on the internet to try and fix this problem, but nothing has yielded positive results. So I asked a techy friend where to go and he said to ask here. Here goes:

Small introduction: I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I am using an ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card. Here is a dxdiag snapshot

Problem:
I have tried Diablo 2, Age of Mythology Gold, and Age of Empires 1 and 2 and none of them are working, they say "error 25: a critical error has occurred while initializing direct3d", "Initialization Failed", and "Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw" respectively. Research showed pretty consistently that it's a problem with either directx, my video cards drivers, or the video drivers not matching the version of directx installed.

NOTE: So far, Starcraft 2 and League of Legends are working. I cant find the discs to try any other games I have.

Attempts at fixing:
I have downloaded and installed the AMD VISION Engine Control Center, Catalyst 11.5, and Catalyst 11.5 hotfix. I have checked the drivers for my video card both through the Device Manager and the VISION Engine Control Center and it seems like everything is up to date.

So I dont know what else to try from here. Help?

More about : older games working

May 12, 2011 12:33:42 PM

Thats going to happen, and there's nothing you can do if you have Windows 7 and try to run 10+ year old games on it.There is only ONE solution: good old WINDOWS XP 32 bit. Just run those games in compatibility mode for Windows 95, 98 etc and you'll see how great they work.

I'm playing Fallout now this way :p  , though I have an NVIDIA card and I'm not quite sure how it'll turn out for you. Best of luck..........
m
l
May 12, 2011 1:28:51 PM

Thanks. I got Diablo 2 to work by downloading glide3x.dll, not exactly sure what that is but it makes it work. Do you know if there is other software around that will make other specific games work? Or should I just check their forums to see if others have created it?
m
l
May 14, 2011 10:37:24 AM

The Age of Empires games seemed to work ok for my son in WIndows 7 32-bit. You can always try XP compatibility mode and running as admin to see if that gets them going.
m
l
!