Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU Recommendation

Last response: in Components
October 17, 2011 6:48:42 PM

My old PSU is a box of crap that I need replaced. I love finding a good deal and unfortunately that has caused me to buy several PSU in the past two years, so this time I'm willing to splurge a little on the side of caution. First of all, look at my specs:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz
SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB 1866 (PC3 14900) 9-10-9-28 1.5V

I will only be running one HD and one SSD in the near future so I'm not too worried about their power consumption here. I have no idea how much power this rig is actually using, but I guessed around 550-600W and pulled a few suggestions from Newegg:

Antec NEO ECO 520W - $40 after promo

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - $65 after promo

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze - $82

Please post your which one would be best for my system or another recommendation if you have one.

More about : psu recommendation

a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 7:01:58 PM

Of the 3 the Seasonic is the best. Other OEMs to consider are Corsair & PC Power & Cooling (which is OCZ owned).
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 7:09:46 PM

dorkydude666 said:
My old PSU is a box of crap that I need replaced. I love finding a good deal and unfortunately that has caused me to buy several PSU in the past two years, so this time I'm willing to splurge a little on the side of caution. First of all, look at my specs:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz
SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB 1866 (PC3 14900) 9-10-9-28 1.5V

I will only be running one HD and one SSD in the near future so I'm not too worried about their power consumption here. I have no idea how much power this rig is actually using, but I guessed around 550-600W and pulled a few suggestions from Newegg:

Antec NEO ECO 520W - $40 after promo

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - $65 after promo

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze - $82

Please post your which one would be best for my system or another recommendation if you have one.

all three will do the job (and are well reviewed) plus the two davcon linked

the antec 520w is a very good PSU using a seasonic platform and has just as much 12v power as the modstream 600, plus its $35 after the MIR (you won't find a better PSU for the price)

the modstream has modular cables although I tend to use just as many cables in non-modular PSU as I do modular so I find that aspect not as important to me.

the seasonic is an excellent PSU

the antec EW linked by davcon is an excellent budget unit
October 17, 2011 7:11:46 PM

I assumed the Seasonic was the best to begin with, but for the value I don't know if it's worth twice the price of a PSU that might work very well in my computer.

The XFX PSU looks like a great value, but since I hardly believe I need more than 600W, the extra 150W would just be eating up my electricity bill wouldn't it? Do either of you have a guess at my required wattage?
October 17, 2011 7:15:03 PM

dirtyferret said:
all three will do the job (and are well reviewed) plus the two davcon linked

the antec 520w is a very good PSU using a seasonic platform and has just as much 12v power as the modstream 600, plus its $35 after the MIR (you won't find a better PSU for the price)

the modstream has modular cables although I tend to use just as many cables in non-modular PSU as I do modular so I find that aspect not as important to me.

the seasonic is an excellent PSU

the antec EW linked by davcon is an excellent budget unit

The Antec 520 honestly looks like the best deal in my opinion. If that model really uses a Seasonic platform that almost makes the decision for me. However, 520W might not be enough for my computer. If I OC my CPU to 4.0GHz with 1.4-1.45V where would my wattage be at?
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 7:16:32 PM

dorkydude666 said:
I assumed the Seasonic was the best to begin with, but for the value I don't know if it's worth twice the price of a PSU that might work very well in my computer.

The XFX PSU looks like a great value, but since I hardly believe I need more than 600W, the extra 150W would just be eating up my electricity bill wouldn't it? Do either of you have a guess at my required wattage?

you are correct (500w+ PSU with 35a+ on the 12v) as you won't break 325w during gaming. the 750w will let you CF down the road if that interests you
Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)

a c 273 ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 7:18:40 PM

dorkydude666 said:

The XFX is made by Seasonic btw and a higher wattage psu does not use more power.
Your pc only draws the power it requires from the wall.
80+ ratings determine how efficient a psu does this and that's related directly to your electric bill.
Both units i listed are 80+ Bronze certified so they are efficient.
October 17, 2011 7:59:39 PM

Now the XFX 750W is looking to be the best deal here. Newegg has it posted for $130 with decent ratings. I read the XFX Core edition PSUs weren't the best series on the market, is this just hearsay? I'm using this thread as a reference: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Thanks for the link to the Antec information, very useful.

Best solution

a c 273 ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 8:05:19 PM

dorkydude666 said:
Now the XFX 750W is looking to be the best deal here. Newegg has it posted for $130 with decent ratings. I read the XFX Core edition PSUs weren't the best series on the market, is this just hearsay? I'm using this thread as a reference: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Thanks for the link to the Antec information, very useful.

Don't go by user reviews on Newegg while some are very helpful and informative,most aren't.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-750-W-Po...
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 8:14:57 PM

davcon said:
Don't go by user reviews on Newegg while some are very helpful and informative,most aren't.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

+1 and the xfx PSU are very good units (seasonic platform again) but I would say; I have read about customer support & rebate issues. I have also seen them pass off lesser video cards as gimped or different models.

ati 4860, nvidia 9600XT, selling gimped ATI 5570

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/992821-xfx-back...

October 17, 2011 8:15:07 PM

Read a couple more reviews for the XFX PRO750W and I will making the purchase later today. The PSU looks like it has a TON of wires I won't be using considering how bare my PC is, I hope it comes with a velcro wrap tie or something. Modular would have been a plus here, but I don't feel like paying for that feature.

Thanks to Davcon and Dirtyferret for all your help and guidance. :) 
October 17, 2011 8:18:06 PM

Best answer selected by dorkydude666.
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 9:52:04 PM

I'd go for the antec instead, $50 is an incredible value for that PSU
!