GTX 460 768MB SLI vs GTX 560 SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hi everyone,

I wanted ask, at this point in time, if any of you believe that it would be worth my money to upgrade from my current GTX 460 768MB SLI configuration to a GTX 560 1GB SLI configuration? Or, should I wait until the Fall/Winter to see what is available for hardware? (Other specs: Intel Core i7 920 @ stock 2.67 GHz, 6GB of Kingston 1333 RAM, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard).

(Thinking of a faster RAM upgrade, as well)

Thanks for your time.

Helltech

Distinguished
Fall/Winter you will get newer technology.

Overclock that 920, please for the love of god. Its one of the easiest CPUs to overclock and you will get much better performance out of it, trust me. Especially with that motherboard. If you don't have an aftermarket cooler THAT is what I would upgrade to.

What resolution do you play at? While you will see a lot of benefits going to 560tiSLI, It wouldn't be a WORTHY upgrade by any means (unless you can pay for most of it by selling the 460s).

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. Haha, yeah, I have contemplated OC'ing the 920 - any recommended cooler? (price isn't a huge factor, Antec 900 II case). I primarily game at 1920 x 1080. (Forgot to mention PSU - 750W Corsair TX).

Thanks

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Why?

Is there some specific title that is not running at an acceptable framerate with the SLI'd 460s? How many monitors are you running and what is the resolution. If it's a single 1080p than all you'd really be doing is burning money to get a performance gain that isn't really perceptible.

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Good point.

I kind of rushed into the 768MB models without thinking (eVGAs, SC'ed). I often catch myself wishing I had 1GB cards now. Also, my primary concern are titles later this year (Skyrim, Rage, etc).

Thanks

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I just saw that you answered the resolution question.

1080p

Not worth it. Not worth it at all.

Those 460s should overclock nicely, too. If you're looking to gain a few frames for some specific game--that's the route to go.

My often broken personal rule is to only upgrade every other generation (with the caveat that there are titles to take advantage of the upgrade--with all the console ports, sadly, this really isn't the case anymore).

Helltech

Distinguished
You're welcome. And yes when I asked the resolution question I was getting at the same point chriskrum has stated. At that resolution you will just be wasting money. I would wait for the Fall/Winter GTX 600 series to come out before you upgrade.

Untill then overclock that 920, and overlock the GTX 460s as well (they overclock really well).

As for a cooler for the 920 you have a lot of choices. Noctua NH-C14, Tuniq Tower 120, Noctua NH-D14, Thermaltako Frio, Prolimatech Megahalems, Zalman CNPS9900 Max, Silver Arrow, Spire Thermax Eclipse II, Corsair H50/H70, Hyper 212+, Scythe Mugen 2. You can also head over to Frostytech.com to see some benchmarks. But you can't go wrong with any of the above choices. You just have to make sure you get what fits your case, fits your ram (might be too big and cover the ram), and fits your "style" really they are all good.

Oh and make sure you pick up good thermal paste when you do as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.