Sign in with
Your question

Getting random BSOD

Last response: in Memory
July 12, 2012 3:40:21 PM

So I have been having an issue with my computer and I assumed that it was faulty RAM. I would turn the computer on and sometimes the monitor would work and sometimes it wouldn't. When I reseated the memory stick that seemed to fix the problem, but it still occurs from time to time. However, I will randomly get a BSOD. I mean completely random. It could happen 5 minutes into having the computer on or it could happen after several hours. It also didn't give me the same error. I have seen IRQL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and BAD POOL HEADER just to name a few. I did a little research and found that memory is normally the issue here. After installing new memory in my computer (corsair vengeance) I have found that it hasn't helped at all. Could my problem be the timings or voltage of the memory? I have looked through my BIOS and I don't see where that can be adjusted.

More about : random bsod

a b } Memory
July 12, 2012 9:01:39 PM

Try a BIOS update on your motherboard.
July 12, 2012 9:22:24 PM

I tried an update on my motherboard a few weeks ago and that didn't fix the issue. Would it matter what slot I put the memory stick in? There are 4 slots. Two are blue and two are black. I am currently only using one stick of memory plugged into the slot farthest from the front of the computer. I don't know if this helps at all, but I think the memory is supposed to be performing at a certain speed (maybe 1533Ghz) and it is stuck at around 633 I believe.
Related resources
a b } Memory
July 13, 2012 12:08:00 AM

daboy said:
I tried an update on my motherboard a few weeks ago and that didn't fix the issue. Would it matter what slot I put the memory stick in? There are 4 slots. Two are blue and two are black. I am currently only using one stick of memory plugged into the slot farthest from the front of the computer. I don't know if this helps at all, but I think the memory is supposed to be performing at a certain speed (maybe 1533Ghz) and it is stuck at around 633 I believe.

What motherboard do you have and what is the exact memory kit that you have? Also, there's no way that your memory is at 1533GHz considering that the world record for suicide memory overclocks on system memory is a little over 3GHz. 1.533GHz aka 1533MHz is also not an official speed nor is it even one that I've heard of unofficially. 1.6GHz aka 1600MHz is more likely.
July 13, 2012 8:22:45 PM

blazorthon said:
What motherboard do you have and what is the exact memory kit that you have? Also, there's no way that your memory is at 1533GHz considering that the world record for suicide memory overclocks on system memory is a little over 3GHz. 1.533GHz aka 1533MHz is also not an official speed nor is it even one that I've heard of unofficially. 1.6GHz aka 1600MHz is more likely.

Haha yeah that is my mistake. I really haven't worked on computers for very long. This is the first computer that I have made any adjustments on. My motherboard is an ASUSTek Model CM1630 (AM3). It also says AMD 780G. My memory is Corsair Vengeance 4GBX2 for a total of 8GB. 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.50V
a b } Memory
July 14, 2012 8:02:44 AM

daboy said:
Haha yeah that is my mistake. I really haven't worked on computers for very long. This is the first computer that I have made any adjustments on. My motherboard is an ASUSTek Model CM1630 (AM3). It also says AMD 780G. My memory is Corsair Vengeance 4GBX2 for a total of 8GB. 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.50V

You might have a faulty motherboard or believe it or not right now, your PSU could be damaged and need replacement in order to get your computer working again. If you have other parts that you can switch out for these to test these theories, that would be ideal. You could also try re-installing Windows. It's also possible that your memory is not running at it's intended specifications and if so, then you'd have to look up the specifications yourself and then manually set them in the BIOS.
!