Canon i950 print head

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 16, 2005 3:36:28 PM

First of all a warning to other Canon ink jet users. If you let your
printer lie idle for a few weeks, the ink can dry in the heads and block
them. I would advise always print something in colour every week. I _knew_
that, but still I managed to fall foul of it.

Non Canon users may not be aware that the print head is a
consumer-replacable component on Canon printers, but they are expensive.

I recently read on the web that some folks have managed to fix similar
problems using compressed air sprays (eg. Dust Buster). With nothing to
lose, I gave it a go (do it in the garden!) with some apparent degree of
success. After carefully cleaning away all the grot, I reassembled but now
the printer gives seven orange flashes which, according to the manual, means
printer head duff.

OK, I guess I probably broke it somehow. As I said, I had nothing to lose
because the alternative was to buy a new head anyway. I have some questions
though:

1) Anyone know exactly what it is that causes Canon printers to report print
head duff? I tried cleaning the electrical contacts carefully, to no avail.
Any other suggestions?

2) Assuming I have to buy a new print head, anyone know of any cheap
suppliers? I am UK based but not averse to ordering from overseas if the
price difference is enough to overcome currency conversion costs.

3) Finally, I am assuming that if I do fork out the 80-odd UK pounds for a
new print head that will actually fix the problem. If anyone has any
experiences, good or bad, of replacing Canon print heads I should be
interested to hear them.

Keith

More about : canon i950 print head

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:31:47 PM

Bill

Thanks for your responses. Not a Canon fan, then ;)  I shall have a quick
scan of what's available in the replacement printer market.

It's a shame though. I really liked the Canon when it worked, and it seems
such a waste to dump it for lack one tiny component. The environmentalist
in me rebels at the idea, but it may come to that.

Keith
March 17, 2005 2:31:48 PM

In article <DUd_d.291$WL6.266@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>, keith.sheppard@tesco.net
says...
> Bill
>
> Thanks for your responses. Not a Canon fan, then ;)  I shall have a quick
> scan of what's available in the replacement printer market.
>
> It's a shame though. I really liked the Canon when it worked, and it seems
> such a waste to dump it for lack one tiny component. The environmentalist
> in me rebels at the idea, but it may come to that.
>
> Keith

I didnt get the original post, so I dont have any details, but I can convey
this:

I had a year old Canon i950 quit on me (permanent head clog on the Magenta
jet) and I called Canon service.

The tech on the phone walked me through several steps of diagnostics, then
asked for the serial number of the printer.

He then took my name and address and sent me a new print head. (no return
required for the old one).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Same thing happened to my i950. I took it all apart unplugged every
connector and reassembled it. Did not fix the head clogs but got rid of the
flashing amber. Now I use it to print stuff on regular paper that needs to
be in color and I bought an Epson R200 ($99) for the odd photo print or a
test proof. When I want to have many prints done, I get it done at the
photo lab, it come out cheaper than having a good expensive printer with
inks, papers and the inevitable failures. I have had a BJC8200 ($300) fail
and the i950 ($400) fail, how many prints could have printed at the lab for
$700?

Jean

!