Sign in with
Your question

GTX580 SLI Microstutter?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2011 3:04:49 AM

I cant decide between going GTX580 SLI or GTX590, the straight foward answer would be 580 because better OC capabilities and better fps, but im afraid of microstutter, ive never had SLI cards before and i dont know what to expect, i guess im decently sensitive to it because oblivion and fallout bugged me pretty hard some times...please help!!! lol
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 12, 2011 3:33:39 AM

I've never had microstuttering with my cards and they are poor SLI technology compared to the 500 series.

What resolution are you playing at? Are you even sure you need that much horsepower?
m
l
May 12, 2011 3:37:04 AM

Helltech said:
I've never had microstuttering with my cards and they are poor SLI technology compared to the 500 series.

What resolution are you playing at? Are you even sure you need that much horsepower?

i plan on maxing out crysis and metro 2033 as well as making my PC future proof for at least 2-3 years...btw if it helps im buying the cards after the summer or around fall when theres hopefully a price drop...ill by playing at 1920x1080
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 12, 2011 3:47:17 AM

You can do Crysis at that resolution with a single 580 EASY! I do it at a higher resolution with cards that are equal to a 470 in performance.

If you are waiting till the fall.. the GTX 600 series should be coming out in Q4.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2011 4:30:30 AM

gtx 590 has dual GPUs, so you will be using SLI either way
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2011 12:25:27 PM

Unless you have lots of $$$$ to splurge, I'd say SLI two GTX 570s.The difference between SLI GTX 570 and SLI GTX 580 is not much at that resolution.300 extra bucks would be a waste.
m
l
May 12, 2011 3:22:56 PM

Helltech said:
You can do Crysis at that resolution with a single 580 EASY! I do it at a higher resolution with cards that are equal to a 470 in performance.

If you are waiting till the fall.. the GTX 600 series should be coming out in Q4.

the point of waiting is not for thje 6xx series but becasue of the 5xx price drop...although i still might get the 6xx if it is at least 30% or 40% better
m
l
May 12, 2011 3:26:03 PM

Helltech said:

really? and i mean maxed out as in 16xQAA or at least 8xQAA with AFx16 running worst case scenario (example: giant explosion) at 30 fps
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2011 5:30:05 PM

well obviously this example that I will give is not the same, but I run BFBC2 on all high with 8xMSAA 16xAF @1920X1200 with a gtx 570 with all 60+FPS, although I do not have crysis or metro on this machine
m
l
May 12, 2011 11:15:02 PM

Quote:
Bad Company 2 on my system maintains something of the high 50s.
Starcraft II goes beyond 80

Grab the GTX 570. it's enough.

One more thing, can u really tell the difference between 8 MSAA and 4 MSAA and MLAA in Crysis 2 ?

im actually talking a bout the original crysis and i know for a fact a single 570 cant withhold that punishment, dont say SLI 570 because that isnt quite future proof plus i wanna keep upgrading
m
l
May 12, 2011 11:30:55 PM

sli is a little pointless if ur not using multiple monitors imo, for peets sake, thats like saying a six core cpu is great for games, when some of the high powered games dont even use more than 4, its smarter to wait for the 600 series like helltech said, bc then u can upgrade it further as in "sli" make it a 3-4 year pc after u waited rather than 2
m
l
May 13, 2011 12:21:53 AM

I have two Gtx 480's in sli, and it's awsome. Can crank any game all the way up. But I went sli because I am going to get a 3d monitor in june, and I wanted to make sure it could run all the games max settings even in 3d. Asus and Acer are both coming out with 1080p 27" 3d monitors. Acer actually already came out with theres, but it's out of stock at the moment. Definitely gonna get one or the other.
Can't wait to play battlefield 3 in 3d. Thats gonna be sick!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2011 6:11:20 AM

You don't need more than 4X AA@ 1080p. Going higher will not produce any noticeable improvement in quality. SLI GTX 570 is the way to go if you look forward to playing something like BF3, which looks to be a demanding game.

Two GTX 570s in SLI will be more than enough fore quite some time,simply because of the fact that there are very few games which can really the take advantage of two powerful cards in SLI. You'll have games like Crysis, Metro 2033, BF 3 and a handful of others which will work your SLI setup.Not everything out that are worth buying there needs something like two 570s in SLI to be maxed out.

m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 13, 2011 5:02:02 PM

Deathsagaxx said:
sli is a little pointless if ur not using multiple monitors imo, for peets sake, thats like saying a six core cpu is great for games, when some of the high powered games dont even use more than 4, its smarter to wait for the 600 series like helltech said, bc then u can upgrade it further as in "sli" make it a 3-4 year pc after u waited rather than 2

I'm happy to say that your opinion don't mean squat as I've been running SLi rigs on a single monitor for several years now so I know first hand what the benefits are.
m
l
May 13, 2011 10:35:44 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I'm happy to say that your opinion don't mean squat as I've been running SLi rigs on a single monitor for several years now so I know first hand what the benefits are.

I said "little" btw, not entirely useless, I appreciate you following me in the threads I am posing in, but its not necessary, were all pals here so lets just relax, my opinion does matter some, simply because of what I said earlier, a family member of mine does know a bit more ;) 
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 13, 2011 10:39:09 PM

Deathsagaxx said:
I said "little" btw, not entirely useless, I appreciate you following me in the threads I am posing in, but its not necessary, were all pals here so lets just relax, my opinion does matter some, simply because of what I said earlier, a family member of mine does know a bit more ;) 

As I've been running SLi rigs I feel I know quite a bit too! :ange: 
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 14, 2011 12:23:16 AM

clondan1 said:
really? and i mean maxed out as in 16xQAA or at least 8xQAA with AFx16 running worst case scenario (example: giant explosion) at 30 fps

No sorry I didn't mean that, most people know you don't need to go over 4x AA at that resolution you aren't even going to notice it. It will just become super taxing on your cards for little to no benefit. I meant maxing out the details.
m
l
!