Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What Sound Card Should I Buy?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
October 17, 2011 11:31:14 PM

I plan on buying the Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-power 2.1 PC Speaker System, and was wondering what sound card (if any) should I buy?

Of course I'm going to just try it with my ASUS P8P67 MOBO first, but was looking for a little input and advice.

I also heard that many modern MOBO's have great onboard sound, but I wasn't sure about mine.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.

More about : sound card buy

October 18, 2011 1:13:32 AM

You'll get lots of uninformed or non soundcard users that will argue that onboard sound is excellent.
It's not and you'll be doing yourself a disservice using onboard audio with that set.
As soon as you read someone referring to onboard audio as an onboard sound card,well i think you get my drift.
What's your budget?
m
l
Anonymous
October 18, 2011 1:28:10 AM

davcon said:
You'll get lots of uninformed or non soundcard users that will argue that onboard sound is excellent.
It's not and you'll be doing yourself a disservice using onboard audio with that set.
As soon as you read someone referring to onboard audio as an onboard sound card,well i think you get my drift.
What's your budget?

roughly $100, $150 if it's very great quality

ignore the double, sorry
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2011 1:36:58 AM

Anonymous said:
roughly $100, $150 if it's very great quality

ignore the double, sorry

You can go back and delete post btw.
Where do you live? CAN/US?
m
l
Anonymous
October 18, 2011 1:56:35 AM

davcon said:
You can go back and delete post btw.
Where do you live? CAN/US?

US, why?
m
l

Best solution

October 18, 2011 2:26:23 AM

Anonymous said:
US, why?

So i can recommend cards from appropriate sites.
Well balanced card does everything well - excels at gaming
AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 - $119.21 USD
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=35596&vpn=AZTXFF710555...

Entry level high end card - excellent budget card
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels - $79.99/$59.99 after mir
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newest Auzentech offering - not for gamers
Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 2G - under $150 hard to find
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian2g.php

There's plenty of cards out there but i wouldn't pay $150+ for a soundcard either.
I own 2 Auzentech cards including the Forte which is my main rig card.
It has been flawless since i bought it back in 2009.
Not a glitch or hiccup,pop, etc.
Owned at least 4 Creative soundcards back in 95/98/XP days.
Switched to Auzentech since Win7 much better driver support and great sounding cards.
Got tired of crappy Creative drivers and issues.
Let us know about those Corsairs i've been eyeing those up since they were released.
I prefer 2.1 speakers too.
Anonymous
October 18, 2011 2:39:16 AM

davcon said:
So i can recommend cards from appropriate sites.
Well balanced card does everything well - excels at gaming
AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 - $119.21 USD
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=35596&vpn=AZTXFF710555...

Entry level high end card - excellent budget card
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels - $79.99/$59.99 after mir
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newest Auzentech offering - not for gamers
Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 2G - under $150 hard to find
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian2g.php

There's plenty of cards out there but i wouldn't pay $150+ for a soundcard either.
I own 2 Auzentech cards including the Forte which is my main rig card.
It has been flawless since i bought it back in 2009.
Not a glitch or hiccup,pop, etc.
Owned at least 4 Creative soundcards back in 95/98/XP days.
Switched to Auzentech since Win7 much better driver support and great sounding cards.
Got tired of crappy Creative drivers and issues.
Let us know about those Corsairs i've been eyeing those up since they were released.
I prefer 2.1 speakers too.

Yea, thanks man will do. I've gotten a lot of good feedback, including from local stores (won't buy from there because they're pricey) and from a friend who had bought them. Too bad he's hundreds of miles away or i'd be able to hear them myself.

I think I'm going for the first one you posted, looks legit. That's the one you have? And also I listen to music if I'm not sleeping/working, so the AuzenTech Forte should be good for music too?

The reason I'm being so picky is that in most of the reviews I've read/heard about the Corsairs, you need a decent sound card for the sub to get your money's worth.

But thanks a ton for the help.

Edit: and wow, I love how they have the extension for the multiple aux plugs. I hate having to feel the back of the computer for 5minutes (then eventually turning the whole thing around) to find the spot
m
l
October 18, 2011 2:47:32 AM

Anonymous said:
Yea, thanks man will do. I've gotten a lot of good feedback, including from local stores (won't buy from there because they're pricey) and from a friend who had bought them. Too bad he's hundreds of miles away or i'd be able to hear them myself.

I think I'm going for the first one you posted, looks legit. That's the one you have? And also I listen to music if I'm not sleeping/working, so the AuzenTech Forte should be good for music too?

The reason I'm being so picky is that in most of the reviews I've read/heard about the Corsairs, you need a decent sound card for the sub to get your money's worth.

Edit: and wow, I love how they have the extension for the multiple aux plugs. I hate having to feel the back of the computer for 5minutes (then eventually turning the whole thing around) to find the spot

I'm very pleased with the Forte's music reproduction it's very good price/performance wise.
Btw i know what good gear should sound like.
I run a 8K+ home hi-fi set-up and that's just turntable/amp/pre-amp/and two speakers.
Been a hobby since i was a teen.
Metal rules!
m
l
Anonymous
October 18, 2011 7:32:52 PM

davcon said:
I'm very pleased with the Forte's music reproduction it's very good price/performance wise.
I run a 8K+ home hi-fi set-up and that's just turntable/amp/pre-amp/and two speakers.
Metal rules!

Hell yes, metal forever.
m
l
Anonymous
October 18, 2011 7:33:03 PM

Best answer selected by kllrfrk.
m
l
September 11, 2013 2:23:15 PM

davcon said:
Anonymous said:

Metal rules!

Hey davcon what sound card do you happen to have? I am getting a mac book pro and Ill need a sound card for the electronic music ill be making any suggestions?
m
l
!