Sign in with
Your question

Dual Channel Questions

Last response: in Motherboards
July 12, 2012 8:06:29 PM

Hello everyone, i have a question here and it is about dual channel memory on my motherboard:
i bought a pair of corsair vengeance low profile 4GB on amazon, when i got them they did not send me the low profile sticks and got the normal ones with the heat spreaders, so the thing is that i bought low profile ones because they wasnt going to fit under my cooler master hyper 212 evo. My motherboard has four DIMM slots and the ones to be used for dual channel mode are the ones closer to the cpu and if i use the cooler master heatsink i couldnĀ“t place my memory on those slots. And im forced to use the other ones (the ones that ar not for dual channel). As i said the motherboard has other slots that are not under my cpu heatsink and i can place my corsair vengeance's there, but if my motherboard manual says that for dual channel i must use the slots under my heatsink (the black ones) so here are my questions:

is there any problem if i use the ones that are not supposed to?

if i use them will there be any slower performance on my PC?

or should i return the tall modules and ask for the low profile ones?

Those are my questions. here are the links for my mobo and RAM:

MB: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51--FX-.html#/?div...

RAM: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/veng...

Please if you know anything please check the links and let me know if i could run my PC with them.

PD.: This is my first computer build, and my native language is not English, if there are any mistakes.
Thanks for your time if you are reading this, you are helping a lot whit your answers and you help me a lot thanks.

More about : dual channel questions

a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 8:37:45 PM

You should be able to run them in dual channel in the rear two slots. If not, well, oh well. It's not much of a performance difference anyway. Now if it was triple or quad channel versus single channel, then it might be more advantageous to get it working in full, but don't worry about this if dual-channel doesn't work. You could simply try it out with the modules in the rear. If you can't move the cooler around, then this is probably your only option other than replacing the cooler.

For example, you could see if you can turn the cooler around 180 degrees (you probably can). If not (or if you can, but it doesn't help with the RAM placement), then use the second set of memory slots and see if the computer will still work. If so, then install windows and install the program called CPU-Z. With it, you can check if your memory is running in dual-channel or not. There are probably other ways of checking, but this is one way that I know of and is extremely reliable. Chances are that you'll be able to do it.
m
l
!