Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair vengeance slot compatibility

Last response: in Memory
July 12, 2012 8:08:35 PM

Hello everyone, i have a question here and it is about dual channel memory on my motherboard:
i bought a pair of corsair vengeance low profile 4GB on amazon, when i got them they did not send me the low profile sticks and got the normal ones with the heat spreaders, so the thing is that i bought low profile ones because they wasnt going to fit under my cooler master hyper 212 evo. My motherboard has four DIMM slots and the ones to be used for dual channel mode are the ones closer to the cpu and if i use the cooler master heatsink i couldn´t place my memory on those slots. And im forced to use the other ones (the ones that ar not for dual channel). As i said the motherboard has other slots that are not under my cpu heatsink and i can place my corsair vengeance's there, but if my motherboard manual says that for dual channel i must use the slots under my heatsink (the black ones) so here are my questions:

is there any problem if i use the ones that are not supposed to?

if i use them will there be any slower performance on my PC?

or should i return the tall modules and ask for the low profile ones?

Those are my questions. here are the links for my mobo and RAM:

MB: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51--FX-.html#/?div...

RAM: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/veng...

Please if you know anything please check the links and let me know if i could run my PC with them.

PD.: This is my first computer build, and my native language is not English, if there are any mistakes.
Thanks for your time if you are reading this, you are helping a lot whit your answers and you help me a lot thanks.

Update: Links are fixed!
July 12, 2012 9:14:21 PM

Can you give another link to your motherboard or tell us the brand/model? Your link is broken!

I think if you ordered the low profiles and amazon sent you the wrong ones, you should let them know. Amazon has amazing customer service, so I'm sure they'll send you the right ones for free if you send back the ones you have.

As for if what you have will work in the "wrong" slots....I'd defer to the mother board manual.
Score
July 13, 2012 1:59:09 AM

ForYourHealth said:
Can you give another link to your motherboard or tell us the brand/model? Your link is broken!

I think if you ordered the low profiles and amazon sent you the wrong ones, you should let them know. Amazon has amazing customer service, so I'm sure they'll send you the right ones for free if you send back the ones you have.

As for if what you have will work in the "wrong" slots....I'd defer to the mother board manual.

Links are fixed! thanks for helping.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

July 13, 2012 3:03:26 AM

Those slots do look very close to the CPU socket. If the wacky corsair vengeance sticks don't fit under your heat sink in what the mobo manual calls the proper RAM slots, I would file a return with amazon saying the wrong product was sent. They will promptly send you the correct problem and you won't have to pay anything. Amazon really is good about that.

And you probably won't be able to boot with the RAM in the blue slots. The manual says if you must start with the blue slot (unfortunately) closest to the CPU socket.

a c 124 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 13, 2012 3:17:00 AM

Well that just sucks. On a 770 board i was able to use the first 2 or last 2 and both worked, but your manual does literally say "To enable successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into the
DIMM1 first."

You can also move the Cooler Master fan up, but if amazon will fix you up, i would go for that option.
Score
July 13, 2012 6:41:41 PM

nukemaster said:
Well that just sucks. On a 770 board i was able to use the first 2 or last 2 and both worked, but your manual does literally say "To enable successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into the
DIMM1 first."

You can also move the Cooler Master fan up, but if amazon will fix you up, i would go for that option.

Thanks! actually i will send the wrong memory for a return. just hoping amazon wont send me the wrong thing again...
Thanks for your help it means a lot for me...
Score
July 13, 2012 6:42:00 PM

Best answer selected by DarkEvonik.
Score
a c 124 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 13, 2012 6:45:14 PM

Going by ForYourHealth's reply it seems amazon is good to deal with. never had to send anything back to them(and it was just hard to find random things like dryer lint filter[half the price of other stores] and such, but they do have some good prices on lots of things :)  ).
Score
July 13, 2012 7:23:56 PM

Amazon has just about the best customer service of any online vendor! Unconditional returns within a certain time period with no cost (except lost time, of course) to the customer.
Score
July 14, 2012 6:20:08 PM

Haha actually sent the return request and the new modules are about to come just took like two days! hopin to get the low profile ones, if not im going to get mad... really mad!
Score
July 14, 2012 6:35:39 PM

Amazon won't do it twice in a row, trust me.

They're really a good seller! I shop there all the time.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a c 146 } Memory
July 14, 2012 6:57:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!