Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Power Supply Needed?

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2011 12:21:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob here - I've only ever finished one build. Anyways, I'm in the process of upgrading my rig, and am wondering whether my current PSU will suffice. It's a Zumaz Zu850W (read: pretty damn old.)

I'll be buying an MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III GeForce GTX 570, and might do an SLI configuration in the future. For CPU/RAM, I'll be running an i5-2500k and something from the G-Skill Ripjaw series. Planning to overclock everything.

Anyways, I've used the PSU calculator and the 850W will likely be enough to support my rig. My main question is whether the sheer age of the PSU should be a concern. Please get back to me quick, as I want to order my parts before several key promos expire!

More about : power supply needed

a c 273 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 12:29:33 AM

What's your max budget for psu?
October 18, 2011 12:36:29 AM

Honestly, I'd prefer not buying one at all, and using the conserved money on an SSD. I'm mostly just curious whether an upgrade is necessary at all, or if this PSU will get me by. Keep in mind I will probably be overclocking my components.

If I absolutely had to buy one, I'd cap it at $100. But thanks to a promo I found, I might be able to get a Corsair TX850 V2 850W for about $70, which strikes me as a pretty good deal.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 273 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 2:02:31 AM

Redivivus said:
Honestly, I'd prefer not buying one at all, and using the conserved money on an SSD. I'm mostly just curious whether an upgrade is necessary at all, or if this PSU will get me by. Keep in mind I will probably be overclocking my components.

If I absolutely had to buy one, I'd cap it at $100. But thanks to a promo I found, I might be able to get a Corsair TX850 V2 850W for about $70, which strikes me as a pretty good deal.

A Top Power Zumax X4 850w psu doesn't instill much confidence to me.
Seeing as you won't find a review anywhere and they are sold on ebay and bargain bin sites.
The Corsair is an excellent deal and top quality.
October 18, 2011 4:16:17 AM

I went ahead and picked up the TX850 V2, since it was only $70. Thanks for the advice.
October 18, 2011 4:16:25 AM

Best answer selected by Redivivus.
!