New builder, having serious issues

durkin555

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hello,
Last night, I hooked it all up and got it all working except the display. The video card was on because the fan was running, monitor working and everything. So I decided to call it a night and work on it in the morning. Next morning, I would turn it it on and it would run for a few seconds and turn off.

I took apart everything, rerouted all the cables neatly and plugged in everything carefully. It's doing the same thing. I noticed the power supply is making a very faint buzzing noise (maybe that's normal?) after this happens.

Also, I may have put too much thermal paste on the processor, could that be it? is my processor fried? I don't think so, because even if it was the fans would be working.

It also could be the front panel cords, but the I/O power button is working (to an extent). 70% of the time when I press it the computer wouldn't turn on but sometimes it would but only for a second

thoughts? suggestions?

UPDATE: Now, it's doing the same thing as before. Its turning on without me even pressing the power button and everything is on and working except the display

durkin555

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
i5 2500k.
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 115
GTX 5805
8gb Ripjaw ram
Corsair HX850
Crucial Real 120gb SSD
320g Western Digital HDD
Hyper 212 plus CPU Cooler

No operating system, haven't even gotten to POST/BIOS, like I said, no display