Closed Solved

Asus M2N and OCZ SSD

I have an older motherboard (Asus m2n32 sli http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131011). I would like to get a SSD (OCZ VTX3-25SAT3) for it. The motherboard supports 3 GB/s and the SSD is 6 GB/s, but is compatible with 3 GB/s. Will the 3 GB/s be a huge bottleneck performance wise? Would it be worth it to upgrade to a SSD if I was willing to pay the money? Thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus
  1. Best answer
    The only way you'd notice it being a bottle neck, would be if you had it on a SATAIII connection first and moved to a SATAII. It will be an improvement on a mechanical HDD even on SATAII, for sure. And you can always move it to a new build with SATAIII when you upgrade.
  2. Agree with Clutch. It will be a big improvement as is, even in SATAII mode. Later, when you upgrade to a MB that has SATAIII, you'll be able to take advantage of that as well.
  3. Btw, here is a good guide for a clean install of Win7 using a SSD and HDD. It will help you wring all the speed out of the drive you can. And help you avoid pitfalls.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
  4. Best answer selected by jeh5256.
  5. clutchc said:
    The only way you'd notice it being a bottle neck, would be if you had it on a SATAIII connection first and moved to a SATAII. It will be an improvement on a mechanical HDD even on SATAII, for sure. And you can always move it to a new build with SATAIII when you upgrade.

Thanks for the info, clutchc! I do plan to upgrade to SATA III eventally. School is sucking up all my money at the moment.
  6. jeh5256 said:
    Thanks for the info, clutchc! I do plan to upgrade to SATA III eventally. School is sucking up all my money at the moment.

A better investment to 'suck up' all your money, I can't think of. ;)
  7. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus SSD OCZ Motherboards Product