2X GTX 560 VS. GTX 580?

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The 560s will outperform a single 580- I'd recommend taking a look at some 560 sli reviews if you are considering buying a pair so you can see the performance difference for yourself.

The usual caveats apply- you need an sli compatible motherboard, a sufficient psu, and an understanding that multiple card setups can driver issues.

What do you mean by VS?.....

In terms of simplicity, GTX580 is simpler.

For cooling, a single card will be easier, particularly if there is no space between dual cards.

In terms of cost, they are similar. You might pay a bit more for a sli capable motherboard, psu, and cooling. Or, not.

In terms of future expandability, The GTX580 approach still leaves you an option for a second one.

If you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then two cards(or a GTX590) are needed.

For consistent performance across all games, a single gpu will be better.

For benchmarks, dual GTX560 will be better.

--------------------bottom line-------------------
Either will give you all the fps you need. with a single monitor.

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
You'd get a ~10% performance gain from 560 SLI vs. 1 580, however this will not be consistent throughout all games, and SLI is not brilliantly supported, you'll have no issues in some games, and in others (Crysis 2 for example), your second card will be a dead weight.

For this reason I do not think the 2*560 is worth the performance gain, especially given that it is no longer a solution that is cheaper than 1*580 (as was the case at the 560 release).

If you really want more performance than a 580 can offer (which is only applicable if you want resolutions higher than 1920*1200, or want to max ARMA2) a 570 SLI would be a better option, it would give a tangible performance gain, whilst being able to run games well in its own right, hence negating the 'if SLI doesn't work' issue.

If you don't want to do that, just go for the single 580.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
The 560s will blow away the 580. For about the same cost as the 560s, you could get crossfire 6950s. That would be faster than the 560s but would cost about the same. I would go for the 2gb versions for crossfire. I just bought two of them and the performance is remarkably good...

I might ban you for spreading misinformation if you don't retract that.

I don't know if he's right or not, but don't you think you are going a bit overboard? If you don't want your preferred setup to be seen as less than optimal, at least show evidence of the contrary (I wouldn't mind seeing it).

Since when has THG banned people for giving bad(or not bad) advice? And even if Crysis 2 isn't one of them, there are games out there that don't perform with SLI/CF. I have played a few.

As I know that Crysis 2 fully supports and utilizes SLi as do many other titles I see his posts as misleading and that is a violation of the rules as stated here.

User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate,

Perhaps you should try reading the rules first before asking what can and cannot be done.

You forgot the part about "knowingly false." At release, there was some issues with Crysis 2. I know with CF, but it may have included SLI. He probably wasn't "knowingly" spreading false or misleading info.

And for the record, I don't find 560ti's to be a bad choice, although I prefer a single card solution unless you can't get needed performance out of a single one. I am against midranged cards being used to CF/SLI, but the 560ti I'd consider a lower high end card.

The retail copy I have has had no problems with SLi before and since the update, the demo was of the MP and didn't use SLi but it was only a demo and wasn't even the SP so to refer to that as a reflection of the full game is 'knowingly false' IMO.

Knowingly false, means he knew. Not that you know. You still have not shown him he's wrong, so there is no grounds for banning. It would be knowingly false if he knew he was wrong before he posted and you still have not shown him he's wrong (although I have no doubt he is).

I also find this odd from you. While you do come off as very Nvidia favored, I've seen you take serious abuse and not ban people, yet you choose this to threaten banning on something like this? This doesn't seem like you.

Taking a screen shot didn't work but I'll try again at another time or you could just get an SLi setup and try it for yourself, and this isn't about Nvidia as much as it's about another 'questionable' post.