Crashing, lockups, frustration, etc.

saboughner89

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hey guys,

This isn't the first time I've had system issues since building it last fall, but I could use some help.

Specs:

AMD II x2 550
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 4gb
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (AM3)
Sapphire HD 5770
WD Black 500gb HDD (OS)
WD Blue 640gb HDD (backup)
Rosewill R519-BK case (came with 500 watt psu)
Windows 7 64 Home

I had my system OC'ed via ASUS OC profiles in the BIOS by 8% (cpu and ram). I don't remember the cpu and ram frequencies off the top of my head, but I can go back into my BIOS and find out if you guys need me to.

I can also provide peripherals, copy down more info via Speccy, and background programs if needed.

Earlier this week, my screen randomly locked up when I was internet browsing. No BSOD or error messages at all. I hard booted only to find my GPU wasn't sending any signal to my monitor. Hard booted again, same problem. Since I've had to deal with crashes related to my GPU before (certain drivers weren't updating correctly), my first idea was to pull the card out, delete all ATI drivers and reinstall the card. I also made sure to turn off AMD overdrive. After this, I got a couple frozen screens with smeared colors and horizontal lines (still no blue screen).

Yesterday, though, I did get BSOD's and one Orange screen of death (still had the layout of a BSOD with inverted colors). These are the descriptions I got from each:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
BAD_POOL_HEADER
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If anyone want's the .dmp files for each BSOD, I can email them.

Let me know if you guys have any clues on how to remedy these crashes because I'd like to avoid reinstalling the OS or replacing hardware.

Thanks

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
"If you have an AMD CPU motherboard combo, and DDR3-1600 memory, the system should be configured as follows.

There are several ways to reach DDR3-1600, but this is the ideal method:

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333.

2. Set CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 (this will overclock the memory frequency to DDR3-1600)

2a. Raising the bus frequency will also overclock the CPU, so if you do not want this, you will need to lower CPU Ratio to your desired frequency. If you do want to keep it, you may need to raise CPU VCore to stabilize the overclock. If you have a Black Edition CPU, then it should be capable of the overclock without any voltage adjustments, but for non-BE's most likely you will need to raise CPU VCore.

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

There are many different motherboards and memory, but they require the same changes. If you are unsure of what to change, refer to your motherboard user's manual. It will have more information about each option and its purpose.

If the system is slightly unstable, you may need to raise CPU-NB Voltage. This is the memory controller voltage, so raising this voltage can help with stability. Also, if you are using full slots or attempting any overclocking, raising this voltage can also help with stability.

Once these changes are made in BIOS, your system should be stable. For memory above the standard, majority of the time AUTO default settings will not work, so these settings are required for a perfectly stable system.

For DDR3-1600 CL9 kits, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.50V and this would be just as fast without needing to overclock the system. These are also good settings if you can not get DDR3-1600 to work, and you need fail-proof settings (without overclocking) to test the memory and make sure they are working properly."

Credit to GSKILL TECH: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688