IGN DS vs PSP

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Interesting, if you cannot be arsed reading then they say the PSP is a
better system overall, but the DS is a better portable system. Confused
lol? :)

http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html

I would take the whole review with a pinch of salt, it really will come down
to the games. If you like Nintendo games, which are often childish but
ALWAYS a lot of fun, then the DS is for you. Also the input method of the
stylus, when used correctly, is amazing.

If you want a high spec, portable PS2, then get the PSP - you wont see much
innovation software wise, but man it packs one powerful punch. Both are
obviously very good systems.

If you can afford them, get two of each :) Need to make sure you can take
advantage of the multiplayer!!

G.
PS - I wonder how long before the fanboys start the flamewar...
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
    > Interesting, if you cannot be arsed reading then they say the PSP is a
    > better system overall, but the DS is a better portable system. Confused
    > lol? :)
    >
    > http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html
    >
    > I would take the whole review with a pinch of salt, it really will come
    > down to the games. If you like Nintendo games, which are often childish
    > but ALWAYS a lot of fun, then the DS is for you. Also the input method of
    > the stylus, when used correctly, is amazing.
    >
    > If you want a high spec, portable PS2, then get the PSP - you wont see
    > much innovation software wise, but man it packs one powerful punch. Both
    > are obviously very good systems.
    >
    > If you can afford them, get two of each :) Need to make sure you can take
    > advantage of the multiplayer!!
    >
    > G.
    > PS - I wonder how long before the fanboys start the flamewar...

    Yeah, lord knows you're not one, right?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    I like Nintendo games but I don't want to be tied down with N64 technology.
    I can play SuperMario 64 on my PC for free.

    "G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
    > Interesting, if you cannot be arsed reading then they say the PSP is a
    > better system overall, but the DS is a better portable system. Confused
    > lol? :)
    >
    > http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html
    >
    > I would take the whole review with a pinch of salt, it really will come
    > down to the games. If you like Nintendo games, which are often childish
    > but ALWAYS a lot of fun, then the DS is for you. Also the input method of
    > the stylus, when used correctly, is amazing.
    >
    > If you want a high spec, portable PS2, then get the PSP - you wont see
    > much innovation software wise, but man it packs one powerful punch. Both
    > are obviously very good systems.
    >
    > If you can afford them, get two of each :) Need to make sure you can take
    > advantage of the multiplayer!!
    >
    > G.
    > PS - I wonder how long before the fanboys start the flamewar...

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Zimmy" <zimmy@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I like Nintendo games but I don't want to be tied down with N64 technology.
    > I can play SuperMario 64 on my PC for free.

    Mario 64 is a bit dated, but the new DS version has lots of cool extras,
    including a shedload of mini games which are fun. The N64 emulators are a
    bit iffy sometimes, not very reliable.

    G.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
    > Interesting, if you cannot be arsed reading then they say the PSP is a
    > better system overall, but the DS is a better portable system. Confused
    > lol? :)
    >
    > http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html
    >
    > I would take the whole review with a pinch of salt, it really will come
    > down to the games. If you like Nintendo games, which are often childish
    > but ALWAYS a lot of fun, then the DS is for you. Also the input method of
    > the stylus, when used correctly, is amazing.
    >
    > If you want a high spec, portable PS2, then get the PSP - you wont see
    > much innovation software wise, but man it packs one powerful punch. Both
    > are obviously very good systems.
    >
    > If you can afford them, get two of each :) Need to make sure you can take
    > advantage of the multiplayer!!
    >
    > G.
    > PS - I wonder how long before the fanboys start the flamewar...

    Im planning on getting the DS now seeing how gaming on portables can be just
    as fun as consoles. I have the psp now, and wipeout pure is just one of the
    best games out right now imo. But I like the ds for its uniqueness with the
    touchpad and all. So yeah, get both.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    There's an extra Star (8 vs the 64's 7) in each level to get, plus new
    levels (supposedly). And puzzles that can only be solved by the use of
    each of the 4 chearacters

    There's much more to it than just a straight copy of Mario 64

    Plus there's the whole legality of playing with emulators, but I doubt
    that bothers you in any way.

    Zimmy wrote:
    > I like Nintendo games but I don't want to be tied down with N64 technology.
    > I can play SuperMario 64 on my PC for free.
    >
    > "G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Interesting, if you cannot be arsed reading then they say the PSP is a
    >>better system overall, but the DS is a better portable system. Confused
    >>lol? :)
    >>
    >>http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html
    >>
    >>I would take the whole review with a pinch of salt, it really will come
    >>down to the games. If you like Nintendo games, which are often childish
    >>but ALWAYS a lot of fun, then the DS is for you. Also the input method of
    >>the stylus, when used correctly, is amazing.
    >>
    >>If you want a high spec, portable PS2, then get the PSP - you wont see
    >>much innovation software wise, but man it packs one powerful punch. Both
    >>are obviously very good systems.
    >>
    >>If you can afford them, get two of each :) Need to make sure you can take
    >>advantage of the multiplayer!!
    >>
    >>G.
    >>PS - I wonder how long before the fanboys start the flamewar...

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Video Nintendo Video Games