Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ati or nvidia

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2011 11:21:58 PM

So I have a 6850 hd 1gb, and im just not happy with what its putting out, and the issues with games it tends to have, graphic glitch's that ati dosent seem to ever patch, oc'd the memory to 1120mhz and engine to 820mhz, resolution typically at 1900x1024, should I just switch to nvidia?

More about : ati nvidia

a c 362 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 13, 2011 1:19:51 AM

Do you have those graphic glitches when the card is not overclocked?

I never really had or notice any graphic glitches with any ATI video cards.
Score
May 13, 2011 1:59:16 AM

That's a pretty high overclock on the memory for a 6850. Those cards don't show graphical errors when the memory is overclocked because the GPU corrects them--instead if you overclock the memory too much it will drop fps. Benchmark it. Then back it down 25mhz. Bench it again. Then back it down 25mhz. So on and so forth. You might notice that your scores actually go up as you reduce the memory overclock.

Also, graphical glitches afflict Nvidia as well. The secret is that it's not usually the card's fault (same as with AMD). Rather, not all game engines like the default settings for how cards to AA or texture mapping. Once you get your OC figured out play with some of those settings.
Score
Related resources
May 13, 2011 1:59:32 AM

jaguarskx said:
Do you have those graphic glitches when the card is not overclocked?

I never really had or notice any graphic glitches with any ATI video cards.

Im not sure actually, lol hmm, ill check into that, but the issues are major fps drops randomly, and loss of colors for some characters in different games
Score
May 13, 2011 2:01:02 AM

chriskrum said:
That's a pretty high overclock on the memory for a 6850. Those cards don't show graphical errors when the memory is overclocked because the GPU corrects them--instead if you overclock the memory too much it will drop fps. Benchmark it. Then back it down 25mhz. Bench it again. Then back it down 25mhz. So on and so forth. You might notice that your scores actually go up as you reduce the memory overclock.

Also, graphical glitches afflict Nvidia as well. The secret is that it's not usually the card's fault (same as with AMD). Rather, not all game engines like the default settings for how cards to AA or texture mapping. Once you get your OC figured out play with some of those settings.

Would you have any idea what I should set the oc at? for optimum performance without the hassle of issues that im running into?
Score
May 13, 2011 2:06:48 AM

I've only played with the 6870 version of that card. My understanding is that you should be able to push the GPU into 6870 territory (especially if you can do a voltage adjustment). The memory is the finicky part--I think there's some sort of limiter on the 6850 that won't let you OC it that much. Also, the error correction so that you don't see artifacts is a nice feature, unless you overclock--one used to just push it until one saw dots or other glitches and back down. Now the only way to OC memory (that I know of) is to do it in small increments and run benchmarks and compare scores. Takes longer.
Score

Best solution

a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
May 13, 2011 2:11:10 AM

Deathsagaxx said:
Would you have any idea what I should set the oc at? for optimum performance without the hassle of issues that im running into?

I'd never OC memory on a 5 or 6 series AMD card. Memory OC has very little effect on performance with these cards, and the memory is already pushing it at stock settings. Stick to just OCing the GPU core only, that has much better returns. Also, this DDR5 memory is a lot more sensitive and more likely to be damaged by OCing than previous memory.
May 13, 2011 2:21:03 AM

Best answer selected by Deathsagaxx.
Score
May 13, 2011 2:21:16 AM

bystander said:
I'd never OC memory on a 5 or 6 series AMD card. Memory OC has very little effect on performance with these cards, and the memory is already pushing it at stock settings. Stick to just OCing the GPU core only, that has much better returns. Also, this DDR5 memory is a lot more sensitive and more likely to be damaged by OCing than previous memory.

thanks, im going to do exactly that
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 13, 2011 10:19:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!